Base Green history?

Can anybody tell me anything about the history of Base Green?

My wife and me are in the process of buying a house there at the moment (Lister Way to be exact) - she's from Sheffield but I'm not, and I was interested in learning a bit about the history of the area from anyone who lives/lived there (got the very basics from Wikipedia!).

And any pictures would be nice aswell!

Cheers.

Can anybody tell me anything about the history of Base Green?

My wife and me are in the process of buying a house there at the moment (Lister Way to be exact) - she's from Sheffield but I'm not, and I was interested in learning a bit about the history of the area from anyone who lives/lived there (got the very basics from Wikipedia!).

And any pictures would be nice aswell!

Cheers.

I have lived here for 38 yrs & I have no complaints.It is near to the countryside about 10 min. walk.The supertram & the bus run through the estate.2 pubs,but they are a bit rough,but more if you are prepared to walk for few minutes.

In the mid-70's, Sheffield had a good jump jockey who came from Base Green, Steve Taylor, and I think he may have lived on that very road, Lister Way? It won't change your lifestyle but worth a mention in the area's history.

We had family that lived in Base Green, they lived in a Councel house for, must be 60 years, we always wondered why they never bought it after all those year renting. ANyhow from what I remember it's a nice place, but seems far from everything.

The only other info I've managed to find out is that the estate was built on the site of Basegreen Farm (got that from Wikipedia) and that it was built around 1955 give or take a bit - actually only found this out from our mortgage application!

The only other info I've managed to find out is that the estate was built on the site of Basegreen Farm (got that from Wikipedia) and that it was built around 1955 give or take a bit - actually only found this out from our mortgage application!

I think they started building in 1952 according to what some of the locals say.But. They could be wrong.

I remember it being built around 1953/54/55 as was the Birley and Hackenthorpe estates just a little further along.

At the time they were built they rehoused families who had been in cramped housing conditions in various areas of Sheffield and also areas which had suffered bomb damage during WW2.

These estates gave many families a complete change of life as they were away from all the industrial smokes/smogs etc. and they could experience the open countryside as, effectively, they were in Derbyshire, something which most families only experienced on "days out".

As far as I recall all the estates were previously open countryside prior to the building of the estates and, apart from lack of schools in the areas and local shops initially, families loved the estates.

You may find more detailed history at the Sheffield Archives as to the areas originally prior to 1950's.

Brilliant stuff, thanks :)

Just remembered the current owner of the house we're buying telling us that the estate (and I'm guessing the same would go for most of that style of house in Sheffield) was built by men who'd returned from the war, pretty much 'to give them a job'...

Most people on the estate paid their rates to Derbyshire council in Chesterfield when they were first built.Also the street lights were White on one side and yellow on the other side of Seagrave crescent.I think that was the boundary between Sheffield & Derbyshire then.

Possibly, men returning home from WW2 did need worthwhile occupations and the city did need family homes, it was a new beginning in a time when there was a lot of optimism.

I do remember that all 3 estates I've mentioned had various little pockets of inhabited old dwellings such as the odd one or two cottages or a shop but, in the main, the estates were built around them for example, at Hackenthorpe there was the post office and a couple of shops and some more across from where the pub was built.

It was possible and probably still is to walk from Base Green, up White Lane to Birley and then down from Birley across Birley Moor Road to Hackenthorpe and then through to Woodhouse, it was a very long walk for kids but, that was the Sunday recreation after Sunday school! I don't know that it would be as pleasant a walk now with traffic roaring past.

Like all things built after WW2 there has been so much change and, in consequence, there are no exacts about anything, there will be people who say that these estates have lots of problems, the best you could do is ask what problems people have experienced recently and then draw your own conclusions from those. I only know what it was like in the 1950's.