Leaky toilet into joist!

Not really sure what to do.

I've smelt wee in our bathroom for a while and i knew there must be a leak.

Decided i wanted a new bathroom anyway and today the plumber has taken the toilet out and found that yes it has been leaking for a while. He has taken the floor up around the toilet but the joist is very wet about a foot long.

What do i do about the joist? I can't really leave it to dry out as i only have that bathroom so he is having to fit new floorboards so he can put the new toilet in. I'm worried it's just going to smell still and not dry out and the new floorboards will soak up the moisture from the joist?

Stressed is an understatement!

Can you stick a dehumidifier in there for a day or two, a good one would get the worse of the moisture out.

Well as long as you don't lay new floorboards, then shove a load of vinyl down ontop or something.

Can you stick a dehumidifier in there for a day or two, a good one would get the worse of the moisture out.

Well as long as you don't lay new floorboards, then shove a load of vinyl down ontop or something.

Thats the problem, got to put the new floorboards down now or i won't have a toilet

Your joiner should be able to advise if he can remove the wet section and splice in a replacement piece.

Have yo identified where the leak is from..?

Someone’s poor aim or a crack in the WC.Bad joint in the discharge pipe?

If you are replacing it should not be a future problem.

It's the joist nearest to the wall so I think taking it out would be a big job. It's the plumber sorting the floor and he hasn't offered any advice

If the plumber can fit floorboards he should be able to cut out and replace this short section of joist.

If not ,get a joiner in.

It's the plumber sorting the floor and he hasn't offered any advice

Is he competent? Surely as a plumber he'd see this kind of thing often and either be able to advise or know someone to do the joinery work.

IS the joist actually rotten? If it's merely wet then depending on how long for it might not need replacing. However I'd expect a plumber to at least know someone to make that judgement even if they cannot.

IS the joist actually rotten? If it's merely wet then depending on how long for it might not need replacing. However I'd expect a plumber to at least know someone to make that judgement even if they cannot.

Most likely the joist will quickly dry out now the leak has been repaired. The plumber really should have been able to give good advice. I recently had a problem with a faulty ballcock in the header tank. There was evidence of water damage on the ceiling below and wet joists in the loft. However, once the problem was fixed everything became bone dry within a few days.

If it’s not rotted then dry it out and give it a spray of Cuprinol 5 star wood treatment which should prevent it rotting and kills the spores that cause rot.