Do you feel safe in Sheffield?

Do forum members believe Sheffield is a safe city?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do forum members believe Sheffield is a safe city?

• Yes
    • No

Just read the article below where they have produced the list of the 5 safest cities and the list of the 5 cities where people feel least safe. According to the report Edinburgh is the safest city in the UK while Sheffield is the place where residents feel the least safe. I know there has been a lot of knife crime this year but on the whole I still believe Sheffield is safe.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/safest-cities-live-britain-revealed-13170166

Just read the article below where they have produced the list of the 5 safest cities and the list of the 5 cities where people feel least safe. According to the report Edinburgh is the safest city in the UK while Sheffield is the place where residents feel the least safe. I know there has been a lot of knife crime this year but on the whole I still believe Sheffield is safe.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/safest-cities-live-britain-revealed-13170166

Load of old toss. "Edinburgh" has lots of areas where you would be hard pressed to find any crime, next door to areas completely blighted by it. It all deppends on which part of the city you live in.

Load of old toss. "Edinburgh" has lots of areas where you would be hard pressed to find any crime, next door to areas completely blighted by it. It all deppends on which part of the city you live in.

Your last sentence sums it up perfectly and it applies to just about any City in the developed World. Toronto is considered one of the safest big Cities (4 plus million pop.) in North America, but you wouldn't believe it if you constantly watched the local news. Lol.

Birmingham is the city where people feel least safe - Sheffield was 5th.

Yep completely. The spate of knife attacks in Sheffield are carried out by rival groups. I would say gangs but I do not think it's quite that formal. So people going out and about who are not involved in drugs or knife crime are safe.

Sheffield is perfectly safe. Always has been, even in the areas of Sheffield that other Sheffielders think are 'dodgy'. Peoples' perceptions and feelings to the contrary are largely driven by a steady diet of media reporting designed to sell newspapers/clicks/viewer numbers by giving you an adrenaline rush, by their own biases and bigotry against social class/race/religion/age groups etc and in my experience a certain amount of people egging each other, Four Yorkshiremen-style, to come up with tales of crime that they have no personal experience of but that they've 'heard' from other people.

Just a few months ago we had this telling us that officially we're one of the cities with the lowest crime rates.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/state-of-sheffield-report-city-has-some-of-lowest-rates-of-violent-crime-1-9058456

Feeling unsafe does not mean you are. Most of the time it just means you're paranoid.

I know the article mentions Sheffield as the place where residents feel the least safe, but according to the poll isn't that Birmingham? Sheffield is 5th in that regard, not first?

Birmingham is the city where people feel least safe - Sheffield was 5th.

Yes it says 5th but then they say that Sheffield is where residents feel least safe. :confused::confused:

You can make surveys say what ever you like by holding them in certain places to manipulate the results.

I feel just as safe in Sheffield as anywhere else.

I feel that I have to behave with more awareness than 20 years ago (anywhere).

I visited my son in London next week and couldn't wait to get home.

I didn't feel safe there, I do here.

I visited my son in London next week and couldn't wait to get home.

I didn't feel safe there, I do here.

Did you go in the Tardis or a Delorean?

Sheffield is perfectly safe. Always has been, even in the areas of Sheffield that other Sheffielders think are 'dodgy'. Peoples' perceptions and feelings to the contrary are largely driven by a steady diet of media reporting designed to sell newspapers/clicks/viewer numbers by giving you an adrenaline rush, by their own biases and bigotry against social class/race/religion/age groups etc and in my experience a certain amount of people egging each other, Four Yorkshiremen-style, to come up with tales of crime that they have no personal experience of but that they've 'heard' from other people.

Just a few months ago we had this telling us that officially we're one of the cities with the lowest crime rates.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/state-of-sheffield-report-city-has-some-of-lowest-rates-of-violent-crime-1-9058456

Feeling unsafe does not mean you are. Most of the time it just means you're paranoid.

What a smashing post.