Help - sash windows painted shut!

Would be grateful if anyone could provide some advice here. We accepted a quote for some painting of external windows at the front of our second floor flat, without agreeing a specific date for the work to take place. We were away for a couple of weeks and when we returned, found that the job had been done, but that we could no longer open our sash windows!

Before raising this with the company involved, we were wondering whether i) anyone has any tips for getting the windows open (given that we don't have a ladder to access the second floor easily) or ii) should the company have taken reasonable care that this didn't happen?

Any advice appreciated - thank you!

I'd raise it with the company before you try to open them in case you damage the paintwork. They cant have painted every external surface if they were shut! Have them come back to free the windows, re-paint any damage and finish the job!

Shouldn’t be a problem. Ask the company back and they should be able to free them from the outside quite easily.

Keep trying them yourself too. The paint shrinks as it dries, so it could well crack and free them naturally

Try gently pushing the opening sash part outwards on 4 corners, It should break the paint, Usually works for me

Happy to report the guys who did the painting came back and unstuck the windows for us. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

hi if you get a sharp stanley knife and carefully go around but personally i get the painter back as most good painters would know you have it have a sash frame open to paint them as they are a pain but done by a good painter you never know they been there besides lovely painted windows .

call if you want for advice kind regards jeff