House renovation costs

We are looking to move back to Sheffield after living on the south coast for 5 years and are looking to buy a house in Millhouses or Dore. We're expecting to have to do a full renovation on whatever we buy.

Can anyone give me a rough idea how much we would be looking at for the following work on a 3 bed semi?

• Full Rewire
  • Double glazing throughout (including patio doors)
  • New central heating system (including new radiators)
  • New kitchen (including bricking up an unneeded door and moving a small wall)
  • New bathroom (and removing wall and joining existing bathroom and separate loo into one room)
  • New skirting boards, picture rails, door frames and doors
  • Replaster walls and ceilings throughout
  • Add fireplace for woodburning stove (assuming there's a suitable chimney)

The house would be empty while all the work is taking place. I've got photos and videos of a house we are interested in if that would help someone give us an idea.

In the region of 40 grand ?

Cost can vary wildly depending on the spec and how much work you can do yourself.

In the region of 40 grand ?

Cost can vary wildly depending on the spec and how much work you can do yourself.

Cheers. I'd look to try and do some of the work myself but don't have much experience so it would probably mean I could do most of the ripping stuff out, but not much of putting it back in again :D

Yes and with things like electrics, gas and the stove you'd need someone suitably qualified/registered anyway.

It's alot of money to put into a property, does the purchase price reflect this?

Yes and with things like electrics, gas and the stove you'd need someone suitably qualified/registered anyway.

It's alot of money to put into a property, does the purchase price reflect this?

Hopefully haha the sale price much lower than similar houses that have already been done up.

On 04/08/2018 at 17:54, Thok said:

We are looking to move back to Sheffield after living on the south coast for 5 years and are looking to buy a house in Millhouses or Dore. We're expecting to have to do a full renovation on whatever we buy.

Can anyone give me a rough idea how much we would be looking at for the following work on a 3 bed semi?

• Full Rewire £7000
  • Double glazing throughout (including patio doors) £9000
  • New central heating system (including new radiators) £6000
  • New kitchen (including bricking up an unneeded door and moving a small wall) £7500
  • New bathroom (and removing wall and joining existing bathroom and separate loo into one room) £7500
  • New skirting boards, picture rails, door frames and doors £3000
  • Replaster walls and ceilings throughout £7500
  • Add fireplace for woodburning stove (assuming there's a suitable chimney) £3500

The house would be empty while all the work is taking place. I've got photos and videos of a house we are interested in if that would help someone give us an idea.

It's impossible to price up without a proper physical inspection for any tradespeople and seeing full specs for the works required. But I'd have a rough stab at the figures above. Also make allowances for roof repairs, insulation, decoration, floor coverings, external works etc. 

Bungleboy 69 has given a good rough idea of prices in his post. You could bring down costs by doing as much labour work yourself and if you project manage it you could do it maybe a bit cheaper but prices for materials and labour have skyrocketed.

i fully stripped down to bare brick a shop with a 1 bed flat above it in 2016 doing most of the labour work myself apart from gas and electrics and I spent £35k just on materials .

I would say there are people out there that could do rewrite for about  £4-5k,  double glazing depends on type and style of windows so could be cheaper then  £9000. Central heating could be done using a govt scheme so worth looking into.

I do have a few contacts in the building trade so if you need any pointers I could direct you the right way.

Its not easy house renovation but if you manage to do it and remain sane then well worth the effort.

Good luck…