Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

It's been confirmed that the PM has agreed with France's President Macron that the UK pay an ADDITIONAL £44.5 million above what we already contribute to the security costs of the Port of Calasis in order to try & deter illegal immigration into the UK.

The PM has also agreed to take more unaccompanied migrant children & adults who successfully claim family ties to the UK.

My question is; should there be more pressure put on the likes of France, Belgium & Holland to make them secure their southern & eastern borders with their neighbouring countries to stop illegal immigrants from entering their countries in the first place & also pressure put on the EU in general to impose its own laws, making migrants register for asylum in the first EU country they arrive at?

Sir Nige’ said we’re leaving the EU.

BoJo the Clown said the EU can go whistle.

Now we’re no longer part of the EU, why should Southern European and Eastern European countries go to the expense of securing their borders when most immigrants simply want to pass through those countries to get to the UK?

You wanted a Hard Brexit and to tell the EU to shove it, and you got it :)

So what the hell are you whinging for?

Sir Nige’ said we’re leaving the EU.

BoJo the Clown said the EU can go whistle.

Now we’re no longer part of the EU, why should Southern European and Eastern European countries go to the expense of securing their borders when most immigrants simply want to pass through those countries to get to the UK?

You wanted a Hard Brexit and to tell the EU to shove it, and you got it :)

So what the hell are you whinging for?

By telling the EU to "Shove it" as you eloquently put it, I'd expect exactly that.

There problems are exactly that, their problems, whether it be illegal immigrants entering their countries or any other political or economic turmoil within the EU borders.

Actually saw a French charity worker say on the BBC this morning that if the Calasis migrants want to go to the UK, then France should help them to secure entry.

The UK has also agreed to supply France with a number of Chinook helicopters to help fight the terrorist problem in the former French colony of Mali. Should we be getting involved in supporting military action in another region of Africa?

By telling the EU to "Shove it" as you eloquently put it, I'd expect exactly that.

There problems are exactly that, their problems, whether it be illegal immigrants entering their countries or any other political or economic turmoil within the EU borders.

Actually saw a French charity worker say on the BBC this morning that if the Calasis migrants want to go to the UK, then France should help them to secure entry.

The UK has also agreed to supply France with a number of Chinook helicopters to help fight the terrorist problem in the former French colony of Mali. Should we be getting involved in supporting military action in another region of Africa?

We have already helped the French in Mali.

It's a German problem, caused by Merkel's open door policy that backfired so spectacularly.

It's a French problem, caused by subservience to German policy and decades old open border policy to former North African colonies that have allowed people to build genuine family ties in France and then the UK.

It's an EU problem because the EU has provided a boat taxi service from North Afrika at the same time as continuing the lie that Turkey will eventually gain EU membership while using them as a proxy military buffer to Persia in exchange for allowing migrants to pass through Turkey.

It's a UK problem because of all the above and a detached domestic political right / left who are each trying to out virtue signal the other.

On the upside, there's a little bit of France that will remain forever England :)

Maybe it will take till brexit, but I think we should say if you come to our country to live, you have to deposit a certain amount of money with the authorities, i.e.enough to get you home again. If you dont have meens of suporting yourself,Then you have to get employment within say 12/18 months or the money pays for your return home, stop benefits for those coming without seeking a job. This should be made clear to anyone and everyone

I

My question is; should there be more pressure put on the likes of France, Belgium & Holland to make them secure their southern & eastern borders with their neighbouring countries to stop illegal immigrants from entering their countries in the first place & also pressure put on the EU in general to impose its own laws, making migrants register for asylum in the first EU country they arrive at?

Belgium, France and the Netherlands take an enormous amount more immigrants than the UK does. No, they should not do more. The UK should.

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 09:14 ----------

Maybe it will take till brexit, but I think we should say if you come to our country to live, you have to deposit a certain amount of money with the authorities, i.e.enough to get you home again. If you dont have meens of suporting yourself,Then you have to get employment within say 12/18 months or the money pays for your return home, stop benefits for those coming without seeking a job. This should be made clear to anyone and everyone

Don't need Brexit for that, it is already the norm in most EU countries, except that is for migrants, not refugees. It is, as usual, a case of people conflating the two concepts. They are not the same.

It's been confirmed that the PM has agreed with France's President Macron that the UK pay an ADDITIONAL £44.5 million above what we already contribute to the security costs of the Port of Calasis in order to try & deter illegal immigration into the UK.

The PM has also agreed to take more unaccompanied migrant children & adults who successfully claim family ties to the UK.

It's a UK problem because-

(i) all the immigrants who manage to enter the EU <wherever> and end up in and around Calais, are those who are hell-bent on getting into the UK;

(ii) borders are geared for stopping people getting in, rather than getting out; and

(iii) adverting to (i) and (ii) above, the 'special' border arrangements implemented in Calais under the Le Touquet agreement are to effectively move the UK border (staffed by HM Border Force) onto France territory, so illegals are stopped before they manage to cross the Channel.

If you've ever been through the Channel Tunnel (returning to the UK), then you'll have seen (iii) with your own eyes (and the extra policing around it, which I mention below) :)

Those 'special' border arrangements have a UK/France shared cost, but the extra policing around and before them (ring-fencing, motorways and areas adjacent Calais, e.g. where the Jungles previously set up) has a non-trivial cost to the French taxpayer, which is above and beyond the ordinary policing cost of illegals the length and breadth of the country.

The UK is free to refuse to pay for that extra policing, for improving the overall performance of the set up, and the management of the 'UK magnet effect' inside France (which is what Macron asked money for).

So illegals will carry on getting through, probably more of them than currently (tens to hundreds of thousands over the years, according to UK media reports, since HM Border Force has only the vaguest of ideas about how many managed to get into the UK and where they may be).

Reciprocally, if France deems that the UK is not paying its fair share of the total costs of the set up, France is free to do only 'up to' what the UK pays for, and/or give notice and rescind ('rip up') the Le Touquet Agreements, whereby all illegals will be getting through, for HMBF to deal with at UK ports and then inside the UK. City of Sanctuary or not, you'd be glad to live Oop North if that happens.

This is a development which I predicted pre-referendum in 2016, and reminded about at the time Macron got elected President in May 2017 (since this renegotiation was part and parcel of his campaign). No surprise about it what-so-ever here.

Theresa May will cut him the cheque just fine.

So it sort of boils down to where we think/want the border to be with France (as far as migrants hopping on the back of lorries are concerned)?

£44m looks like a bargain to me.

So it sort of boils down to where we think/want the border to be with France (as far as migrants hopping on the back of lorries are concerned)?
That's already the situation, and has been for years.

Around Calais, the UK border is in France, at boarding points (Chunnel, ports).

You go through both (French exit customs, UK entry customs) one behind the other. With an x-ray portal in-between. Same set up (in reverse) in Folkestone, minus the x-ray portal.

£44m looks like a bargain to me.
It's a tad more than that, £44m is a budget top-up.

But since the set up stops the vast bulk of UK-bound illegals in France and keeps them there, you be the judge about its value for money (relative to the overall cost of tracking down, arresting, processing and then deporting illegals inside the UK) ;)

Edited by L00b

We need to tackle the problem at the source - before they set off on their journey to France, let them know that the UK isn't the paradise they're hoping, and that they're probably not going to be made welcome.

We need to tackle the problem at the source - before they set off on their journey to France, let them know that the UK isn't the paradise they're hoping, and that they're probably not going to be made welcome.

Great idea.

How do you implement it?