Weird Phone Call

Just had a bit of a weird phone call from 03333201828, ask for me by name when I ask her who she was she wouldn't tell me tell until I told her my date of birth, address ect.

When I ask her again and for the name of the firm she wouldn't tell me till I told her my Date of Birth and address.

When I told her you have got to by law at least tell me your name and the name of the firm other wise I terminating the phone call, she then hung up.

I can only find little bits about this phone number and was wondering if any one has had the same.

Thanks.

Seems to be a line operated by Daisy Communications and in the number grouping supplied to Marston debt recovery.

You handled it well though some people would have just churned out their name and address.

If it's Marston be ready.

They can be insistent/ incompetent beyond belief.

I've had their collection agent arguing on my doorstep that despite having a different surname, never ha ing lived at the debt address and proof that I have consistently paid for my water to Severn Trent so cannot owe Yorkshire water for the bill in a different name and property, I should just pay the £950 to avoid getting a CCJ.

It was surreal.

You handled it well though some people would have just churned out their name and address.

I wouldn't have given them any information, until I was sure who I was talking to.

I wouldn't have given them any information, until I was sure who I was talking to.

I never confirm anything over the phone unless I've made the phone call.

I never confirm anything over the phone unless I've made the phone call.

Same for me. Why would anyone give out information without understanding who to and why? Especially if it relates to finance.

This is the correct answer. NEVER give any information that, in combination with your name, leads to you being identifiable.

I recommend you use the full power of GDPR and put in a request for which information they hold on you. If they refuse, tell them they will be reported to the Information Commissioner's Office.

In fact, do that now anyway - https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/your-personal-information-concerns/

This is the correct answer. NEVER give any information that, in combination with your name, leads to you being identifiable.

I recommend you use the full power of GDPR and put in a request for which information they hold on you. If they refuse, tell them they will be reported to the Information Commissioner's Office.

In fact, do that now anyway - https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/your-personal-information-concerns/

I worked few years as a telephone debt collector, and

you are right, collection agent cant do absolutely nothing over the phone if debt owner does not identify himself, but, from my experience, it is better to cooperate and make a payment deal with, in this case, a collection agency, to avoid possible further expenses and penalties.

It never ceases to amaze me that with all the Rip Off Britain programmes, endless consumer advice programmes as well as daily news features about all the latest scams, that people are still so eager to give out personal information to a stranger on the end of the phone or an anonymous mail in their inbox.

Would they? I doubt it very much.

Would they? I doubt it very much.

Clearly they do, or the scammers wouldn't be investing so much time and effort into it.