New Statesman article

[/color]By the way you’re not a fan of Fabien Marsaud, the French rapper, are you «* Grandes Corps Malade «* ( stage name ) ?

Ha. No, nothing so exciting.

I’ve spent the summer in France and my name is a nod to la famille Marsaud in my O level French text.

Seems a fairly accurate article to me and describes one of the things I like about the city.

To add to the bit about why the west traditionally became the affluent side (and the east the effluent? ;)) I heard it was partly because of the way the wind generally blows- from west to east- so the rich could avoid the smog of the industry.

Yes, I heard that too; steelworks and workers in the East, clerks,Managers and owners in the west, avoiding the smog.

Mind you, when the steelworks went in the 80's and 90's the council could have taken the opportunity to smarten up the East side.

Mind you, when the steelworks went in the 80's and 90's the council could have taken the opportunity to smarten up the East side.

They certainly did at Attercliffe Common, knocking down loads of derelict old buildings, allowing for the development of the arena, stadium, bowl and loads more all the way to Meadowhall.

They certainly did at Attercliffe Common, knocking down loads of derelict old buildings, allowing for the development of the arena, stadium, bowl and loads more all the way to Meadowhall.

Theirs an golden opportunity to build new houses at Attercliffe which in turn would help with business down their. Attercliffe Road is one of main routes into the city plus the tram runs though everything is in place just need building up.

You have a point, but I don’t believe that most people vote to make inequality bigger. I know plenty of Tories who think that their philosophy is the way to reduce inequality. They are wrong, of course:D.

One problem we have is that politics has failed to keep up with technology. The capacity to conspire and to hide money from tax authorities has led to a breed of untouchable companies. Imagine how much good it would do for us to be able to extract fair taxation from Apple, Google, Amazon and friends. That could go some way towards regenerating Goldthorpe.

I would suggest the immediate surrounding area of goldthorpe has had investment. Decent transport links, industrial estates sprung up and now a thwacking great Aldi distribution centre, which is quite immpressive and it really should employ a lot of locals. When you compare it to other areas that were hammered by the decline of coal industry, goldthorpe seems miles behind and I don't know why.

Yes, they're OK (except for the now defunct stadium,) but it's a pity they didn't do a bit more landscaping, plant a few trees etc. And yes, some housing as 80Peter suggests, why not? There's a fair bit of land down there that's not being used.

Edited by Anna B