Regular visitors to the Golden Dragon

Back in the late 60s and early 70s,I was resident drummer at the Golden Dragon along with Tony Warboys on the organ.Roy Walker was a regular visitor ,sometimes sitting in and singing a song or two.Tony Whyte was a frequent attraction but some unknowns would be our cabaret attraction .Sade,Labi Siffre ,Emile Ford ,as well as local entertainers.Quite often first half of the night was jammed packed with Hen Parties etc until it was time for the crowd to leave, sometimes mid cabaret to go to the Fiesta.Tony and I had the task of explaining to the "turns"what could happen during their show.Later in time Roy Walker I was informed that Roy Walker and Sade became stars.Labi became well known for his only hit song.The title of which escapes me after all these:huh: years .

'It must be Love'.

I remember my mother and some of her friends going to see Labi Siffre.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s,I was resident drummer at the Golden Dragon along with Tony Warboys on the organ.Roy Walker was a regular visitor ,sometimes sitting in and singing a song or two.Tony Whyte was a frequent attraction but some unknowns would be our cabaret attraction .Sade,Labi Siffre ,Emile Ford ,as well as local entertainers.Quite often first half of the night was jammed packed with Hen Parties etc until it was time for the crowd to leave, sometimes mid cabaret to go to the Fiesta.Tony and I had the task of explaining to the "turns"what could happen during their show.Later in time Roy Walker I was informed that Roy Walker and Sade became stars.Labi became well known for his only hit song.The title of which escapes me after all these:huh: years .

I have mentioned it before on another thread, but what I remember most in the timeframe you mention, was the manager of the Dragon, who was always coming and lighting your cigs up with his Ronson lighter and joking around with the diners. He reminded me of a Chinese version of George Formby.:D

'It must be Love'.

I remember my mother and some of her friends going to see Labi Siffre.

"Something Inside So Strong" did better in the charts...

Abbyedges Thanks for the memory nudge.Tony Warboys had the intention of introducing Labi as. Larry Syphlis.Not a good idea I told him, but he did introduce Sade as Sadie on opening night for a laugh. She didn’t think it was funny even though he corrected his intro immediately.

Abbyedges Thanks for the memory nudge.Tony Warboys had the intention of introducing Labi as. Larry Syphlis.Not a good idea I told him, but he did introduce Sade as Sadie on opening night for a laugh. She didn’t think it was funny even though he corrected his intro immediately.

Now you just reminded me of an English guy I met over here who used to be a club singer, he also sang on QE2 voyages too. He told me on his first appearance at Bernard Manning's nightclub in Manchester. Bernard was giving his routine when it was time to introduce this chap I'm talking about Bernard said, "well we got this singer coming up next, probably a load of rubbish, but he's cheap, so bear with us" or words to that effect. The lad was so befuddled he completely forgot which song he was opening his act with and had to go and ask the musicians lol

Hi mikeh1947 - If the Golden Dragon is the restaurant on the left-hand side of the Moor looking down, I knew a pianist by the name of Mick Pattinson that played there, does that ring any bells? fleetwood

Hi mikeh1947 - If the Golden Dragon is the restaurant on the left-hand side of the Moor looking down, I knew a pianist by the name of Mick Pattinson that played there, does that ring any bells? fleetwood

Hi Fleetwood, it was on Matilda Street, just off the Moor. You've just described the Zing Va.

Hi Fleetwood, it was on Matilda Street, just off the Moor. You've just described the Zing Va.

Hi Jim Hardie - I had the right restaurant in the wrong location, I knew the Zing Va also and have been in there. Thanks. fleetwood