SWINDELLS 'NEWS OF THE WORLD 'shop

My Grandad Harry Swindells was a hairdresser on Tinsley front,I believe it is now a massage parlour after he sold it to Nat West Bank many years ago on his enforced retirement(he kept changing his date of birth).

His shop was the place to go if you wanted all the local gossip, hence the title NEWS OF THE WORLD.Back then I was amazed, as a young lad to see that he knew just about everyone that lived in Tinsley.He probably did their haircuts, which included walking out of the shop, itching with hair down their necks.

Hi mikeh47,

It seems your grandad was a traditional hairdresser who knew all the local people and whose shop was the local "gossip exchange"! This can still be the case - my own hairdresser has been cutting my (diminishing) hair for donkey's years and he always has some local news to tell. The "picturesheffield" site has a photo that includes your grandad's shop - here is a link..The business is shown at 270 Sheffield Road in the directories I have from 1931 to the early 1960s, then it was a NatWest branch as you wrote. Going back a bit further, the 1925 directory has "James Swindells, hairdresser" at that address. Interestingly, the 1931 directory has "Swindells & Sons, potato merchants" also at 270 Sheffield Road.

Grand Dad was Harry Swindells.He had 3 brothers Fred,Billy and Burt as I recall plus one who changed his name to Smith .? rumour has it he was a money lender, hence the name change from Swindells to Smith.

Grandad was always a hairdresser so where the Grocer bit comes from I have no recollection.He and Fred however did have a shop during the war on the corner of Handsworth road and road leading to Catcliffe.Thanks for the link.

Grand Dad was Harry Swindells.He had 3 brothers Fred,Billy and Burt as I recall plus one who changed his name to Smith .? rumour has it he was a money lender, hence the name change from Swindells to Smith.

Grandad was always a hairdresser so where the Grocer bit comes from I have no recollection.He and Fred however did have a shop during the war on the corner of Handsworth road and road leading to Catcliffe.Thanks for the link.

Is this the same Burt or Bert Smith that was married to my Aunt, I knew that he was related somehow to Swindells, I didnt know that he was a money lender I only knew that he was in the regular army and when he came out of the army he married my aunt, what a small world, I always thought that he was Mrs Swindells brother but I was only young at the time so didn't know the full story

Kay,

It could be the same.My Aunt Alice was the go to family member who knew the history.My Nan Swindells was a Smith but there was a Pollard somewhere in the tree.I only met Burt once or twice,Uncle Fred lived in Beauchief(bee chiff).Over the years, we ,the kids were introduced to many relatives and twice Granddad,my Dad and I took the single decker to Denton,Manchester/Hyde area, to see some relative,I never got to see him.I do remember vividly the bus having to stop for the driver to rest??? and Grandad gave me one of his sandwiches.Colemans Mustard sandwich no butter.Uncle Burt may have been a Smith,I believe Nannan Swindells had a relative living in the back of the shop besides Alice and Donald,Mum moved out to Brinsworth after marrying Dad in 44 I believe, its possible that the old lady in the back was Nannans Mum..Grandma Smith.Uncle Fred and Aunt Winnie had three boys,Gordon,Kenneth and Uncle James who was a dentist in Sheffield.Nan was also related to the Lakins and somehow my Mum ,Marjorie had a Aunt Joyce who was Younger than Mum.Joyce Rufus had two kids.Heather and Ian who worked at Radio Hallam and Humberside,hes still alive.You might get some history from Ian on his Mums family history. Mike

---------- Post added 11-09-2018 at 11:30 ----------

Kay I have sent a message to my sisters to join the site. mh:)

Edited by mikeh1947
missing info

... my Dad and I took the single decker to Denton,Manchester/Hyde area, to see some relative,I never got to see him.I do remember vividly the bus having to stop for the driver to rest??? ...
If you took the No 48 bus to Manchester there was a refreshment stop at the Dog & Partridge, between Flouch and Woodhead. The driver and conductor were given a free cup of tea for introducing the business..:) The No 39 might have made a similar stop at the Snake Inn - not sure about that.

hillsbro..The bus we took to Manchester ,my Dad and Granddad Swindells was back in the early 50s.I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 at the time.The bus stopped in a lay by probably on the Snake and everyone got off to sit on the grassy slope for a smoke and whatever.Maybe the driver back then had a flask of tea ,but the trip was memorable thanks to the mustard sandwich .One bite was enough.::(

Edited by mikeh1947
name of sender edit

If you took the No 48 bus to Manchester there was a refreshment stop at the Dog & Partridge, between Flouch and Woodhead. The driver and conductor were given a free cup of tea for introducing the business..:) The No 39 might have made a similar stop at the Snake Inn - not sure about that.

I took the No.48 bus many a Sunday night in the late 60s. The fare was six shillings (30p). It went from Pond Street but I can't remember where it turned round. It might have been Chorlton Street.

Hillsboro I think we got the bus near the tram depot and not Pond Street as this was maybe 1952 53

I took the No.48 bus many a Sunday night in the late 60s. The fare was six shillings (30p). It went from Pond Street but I can't remember where it turned round. It might have been Chorlton Street.
I think it originally went to Lower Mosley Street bus station, then changed to Chorlton Street coach station, possibly by the late 1960s.

---------- Post added 12-09-2018 at 20:43 ----------

Hillsboro I think we got the bus near the tram depot and not Pond Street as this was maybe 1952 53.
I remember the 48 went from Pond Street in the mid-1960s, but maybe not in 1952-53. I have a 1954 timetable at home and will have a look when I'm there at the weekend (Mrs Hillsbro and I are enjoying sunny Scarborough at present!)

---------- Post added 14-09-2018 at 14:42 ----------

I just looked in the 1954 timetable - here are "]the 39 and 48 timetables.

Edited by hillsbro