Old fashioned sweets

I remember Imps - they came in a little tin and had a strong - almost overwhelming - licorice-y/mentholy-y type flavour. And - ooh! - I'd forgotten all about butterscotch gums! I liked those too! My brother and I used to be given a threepenny bit every day to buy some "spice" on our way home from primary school. My most regular way of spending mine was to buy a penny bag of rainbow crystals or "cream-soda" sherbert, a penny ice lolly to dip into the sherbert - then either four blackjacks or fruit salad chews and either a penny arrow bar or four "sports mixture" gums. It's no wonder that our teeth have started rotting and falling out in our 50's!

Theirs an little gem of a sweet shop on Broad Street old fashioned scales and glass jars of delights. Feel about six when I go in their.

I got some ' Rum Balls ' the other week from there :)

I was out with an old friend today, both of us born in the late 50's, and we got to talking about the gloriously tooth-rotting old fashioned sweets and confectionary items we spent our pennies on as little kids in the 60's.

A lot of the "chews" that we used to get 4 for a penny - like Blackjacks, Fruit Salad etc, and a lot of the boiled sweets that we used to buy in "quarters" from jars lined up in the sweetshops - stuff like cola cubes, pineapple chunks, sour apples etc, are still available, but there's plenty of stuff that I never see these days.... Coltsfoot Rock...Tiger Nuts...

:D

Wow ..tiger nuts.

They make a type of milk out of that in Valencia.. wish they sold it on wide scale over here.. it's healthy and tastes far better than the fads of coconut,almond milks..

Horchata ..tigernut milk..wish they sold it in Sheffield

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3178049/Tiger-nuts-grr-eat-Popular-1950s-treat-make-comeback-superfood-high-iron-vitamin-content.html

Tiger nuts are grr-eat for you: Popular 1950s treat make a comeback as a superfood because of high iron and vitamin content

What old sweets do you fondly remember from your childhoods?

Does anyone remember “Kayli”? In the 1950s, we used to call the sherbert in Barrett’s Sherbert Fountains, Dib Dabs, and also rainbow crystals “kayli”, do others remember using this word?

Edited by susie1
Technical glitch

Yes, as a little kid growing up the 60's my grandparents generation, who would probably have been in their 40's and 50's then, always referred to sherbet as "Kayli". It also used to baffle me why the old 'uns called sweets "spice" instead of sweets.

Where did those old names like "Kayli" and "spice" originate from in the first place....and when and why did we start to call them "sherbet" and "sweets"

instead?