Graphics card advice please

I have an old socket 775 motherboard with PCIe 2.0 with a Q6700, 8 gig DDR2 and a GT 610 silent gfx card.

I have been offered a second hand GTX 780 ti for silly money and am tempted.

I realize my cpu and mobo are old and I wont get anything like approaching the gfx cards full capability but is it worth upgrading to this card as its only 100 quid? I only play the occasional old game and do the odd bit of basic video editing at the moment but if this card runs in my pc ok Ill probably play the odd later game and do some more video editing than I currently do now.

Thanks in advance.

im currently experiencing graphics card weirdness, but thats for a different thread i think

I have an old socket 775 motherboard with PCIe 2.0 with a Q6700, 8 gig DDR2 and a GT 610 silent gfx card.

I have been offered a second hand GTX 780 ti for silly money and am tempted.

I realize my cpu and mobo are old and I wont get anything like approaching the gfx cards full capability but is it worth upgrading to this card as its only 100 quid?

To be honest I doubt that your power supply will have the correct connectors. The GT610 power consumption is 29W and is self powered. The GTX780 ti is 250W and needs 1x8 pin + 1x6 pin connector and a 600W PSU.

To be honest I doubt that your power supply will have the correct connectors. The GT610 power consumption is 29W and is self powered. The GTX780 ti is 250W and needs 1x8 pin + 1x6 pin connector and a 600W PSU.

Hi. My power supply has them. It's pretty new, 850w

Hi. My power supply has them. It's pretty new, 850w

Great, more than capable and at that price I would go for it. :)

Great, more than capable and at that price I would go for it. :)

You dont think the rest of my pc would be holding the gfx card back to a point rendering it not worth upgrading to?

You dont think the rest of my pc would be holding the gfx card back to a point rendering it not worth upgrading to?

To be honest I am not sure but I doubt it would hold it back much and it would still be a vast improvement on the older card.

To be honest I am not sure but I doubt it would hold it back much and it would still be a vast improvement on the older card.

I think it could slow it right down if the ram and cpu can't keep up tho

a 780 should work fine in that PC, but is it a 3GB or 4GB version?

for 'occasional games and videos' it may be slightly overkill for what you're using it for...

a 'new' 1050ti will give around the same performance, at lower power requirements, with 4GB and only around £30 more than the price you are offered, for a new card...

But in answer to the OP, the 780 should work fine as you have a reasonable (though still quite old) Quad Core - Should be fine for the OP in most situations, but honestly if it's 3GB I wouldn't bother :)

Also, make sure you have a minimum 8gb RAM

Consider it a card that will keep on giving as you upgrade your computer in future.