Sign in to follow this  

Has the three network rolled out 4G yet in Sheffield?

I am looking to leave Orange as they are t**ts! Been great for years, but since turning into EE they have nothing good to offer. Anyway, I popped into the 3 store today and asked when they are enabling 4G in Sheffield and the member of staff told me it has already gone live.

No mention of it on their website??

I already checked that, seems odd that a member of staff would get it wrong....Thought maybe someone on the 3 network with a G enabled phone might reply.

Nah not yet.

They have HSPA+ if you are in a good signal area - I get 14 meg download speed on that which is as good as some 4g signals.

Should go up even further when 4g goes live.

Nah not yet.

They have HSPA+ if you are in a good signal area - I get 14 meg download speed on that which is as good as some 4g signals.

Should go up even further when 4g goes live.

I once got 16 meg on their DC-HSDPA. I can't fault Three for internet usage, I get a much better speed on my phone when tethered then I do with TalkTalk. I'm on all you can eat data and as far I'm aware Three are the only ones to offer unlimited downloads including tethering. Another plus is that their 4g will be at the existing 3g prices. I've got the Galaxy S4 and I've been told by Three that when the 4g signal is switched on in my area I will receive a text and a SIM update (over the air, not a replacement SIM) then all I need to do is reboot my phone and 4g will be activated.

I can't wait, even considering doing away with the landline when I get 4g.

Edited by ad25121048

If your phone has DC-HSDPA capabilities then 3 offers it to it's customers. It's a bit patchy in terms of coverage but using it I've had between 21-30Mbps speeds (measured by Speedtest). Even without DC I've been getting speeds in the early teens.

Three's 4G will be launched here in March. Existing customers with 4G enabled phones will be moved to 4G enabled plans at no extra cost, as stated above, an OTA sim update will be pushed to customer's phones in order to enable it.

Source: I'm on the phone to 3 customer services as I type this.

Edited by Resident

Yeah, I get between 4 in bad areas, and up to about 23 in town, using DC-HSDPA

Cheers all. Not impressed with the lying / incompetence of the staff tho! Still, sick of Orange and their lies so will switch anyway.

So long Orange Wednesday, it's been a blast!

Cheers all. Not impressed with the lying / incompetence of the staff tho! Still, sick of Orange and their lies so will switch anyway.

I don't like the Three Stores, have had loads of issues with dealing with the store staff, so I just call up the customer service, they may not be UK based, but I haven't really ever had a major problem with them...

I don't like the Three Stores, have had loads of issues with dealing with the store staff, so I just call up the customer service, they may not be UK based, but I haven't really ever had a major problem with them...

They can't be much worse than EE. I called in December to ask about leaving, (am on sim only so no contract) long and short of it was I might as well call the day before my bill is due and leave then as I was already into another month,so would be paying up until my next bill date regardless. I call them today and get told I have to give 30 days notice to leave!

Might be a bit far for you but I got my contract sorted in the Chesterfield store, only popped in for a general enquiry and walked out with a 12mth SIM-only. They've been brilliant with me to date.

---------- Post added 18-01-2014 at 19:44 ----------

They can't be much worse than EE. I called in December to ask about leaving, (am on sim only so no contract) long and short of it was I might as well call the day before my bill is due and leave then as I was already into another month,so would be paying up until my next bill date regardless. I call them today and get told I have to give 30 days notice to leave!

Every provider states 30 days notice to terminate a contract. It's because they charge line rental a month ahead, even on sim-only 30 day rolling contracts.

Stores earn commission for getting new customers and retaining existing. They lose out for disconnections so the adviser will have lied so he didn't screw his stats, which is disgraceful.

Might be a bit far for you but I got my contract sorted in the Chesterfield store, only popped in for a general enquiry and walked out with a 12mth SIM-only. They've been brilliant with me to date.

---------- Post added 18-01-2014 at 19:44 ----------

Every provider states 30 days notice to terminate a contract. It's because they charge line rental a month ahead, even on sim-only 30 day rolling contracts.

Stores earn commission for getting new customers and retaining existing. They lose out for disconnections so the adviser will have lied so he didn't screw his stats, which is disgraceful.

And the 3 store staff member lied to get me to sign up!