Get off the roads or let other road users get past !!

I took my driving test for my motorbike license in my 40s, 20 odd years after getting my car license. This second test opened my eyes. I learned things I never learned for my car license, as they'd tightened up a lot by then.

One of the things I learned on the course which surprised me, was that ALL road users are EQUAL in the eyes of the law, and thereby have equal rights to be on the road, and what's more they have a right to drive in the centre of the lane, not in the edge.

It's scary that you needed extra training to learn this! How did you ever form the view in the first place that all road users weren't equal?

---------- Post added 11-08-2016 at 08:46 ----------

In certain states of america its illegal to drive slow and not let people past. I do tend to agree, drive how you like but if you are going considerably less than the speed limit, let people pass every so often.

It's pretty frustrating tbh, but it's nothing to do with caravans or vehicles with an excuse, it's slow car drivers that annoy me. 40 in a 60 zone, or 20 in a 30 zone for no good reason. They just hold everyone else up.

Had it on the A57 from Worksop last night, came home at about 2150, I thought I'd get a nice run as it's quiet at that time, but we did 40 from Worksop to the Red Lion at Todwick, couldn't safely pass them before then, that's 5 mins of my life I can't get back.

Edited by Cyclone

I took my driving test for my motorbike license in my 40s, 20 odd years after getting my car license. This second test opened my eyes. I learned things I never learned for my car license, as they'd tightened up a lot by then.

One of the things I learned on the course which surprised me, was that ALL road users are EQUAL in the eyes of the law, and thereby have equal rights to be on the road, and what's more they have a right to drive in the centre of the lane, not in the edge.

This applies to pushbike users, horses, road-licensed motability scooter users, caravans and tractors etc.

Cars seem to think they own the road, or have some sort of priority, ...they don't.

As a car driver, I have a lot more respect for other road users now.

At the end of the day, its all about courtesy and manners. We have a great reputation for those in this country, so let's keep up the standards!

Car users be a bit more understanding, or get some manners, and other users, just do what you can to help alleviate the pressure on the roads by travelling at times other than peak periods.

I'm sure everyone would avoid travelling at peak periods if they could.

We do all have to share the road, and manners cost nothing.

There are some horrible people using the roads though, and that can be a scary prospect when putting yourself in a more vulnerable position by cycling or riding a motorbike.

Why do you people insist on blocking A roads and driving at 25mph on A roads?

Don't you ever look in the rear view mirror and see a line of cars desperately trying to get past?

Is so why don't you pull into a layby?

Caravan owners you are pests and as for people with trailer tents you are worse.

COme on, show some consideration and please check your rear view mirrors. If you see a line of cars stretching into the distance get into a layby and let us get past.

GRRRR

Drive faster

Rant over:rant:

Well this is a turn around

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1466278

Edited by nikki-red
Sorted quote tags

The pace of life in genral has quickened, there is little time for courtesies especially on our roads and that's in evidence everyday. There will always be those that have no time or tolerance with other road users. I drive with the expectancy of being tailgated and or cut up. I accept that at some point my journey will be slowed by some form of transport it's inevitable given the amount of vehicles using the road system.

JOHN HABS

Preferably not 25mph on an A road

Why did this idiot not check his rear view mirror? It was like that film convoy yesterday.

How many laybys are there on the woodhead pass? If you weren't close to any of the 2 lane sections then I suspect the answer is none. And if you were, just overtake using the second lane.

---------- Post added 05-03-2017 at 12:40 ----------

It's scary that for 20 years you were driving and didn't know this. Unfortunately there are many more people still driving around in ignorance.

---------- Post added 05-03-2017 at 12:41 ----------

On a A road like the A57 I drive at 40mph and yet I never encounter traffic jams

He's just a troll.

I think all cars except Audis should be limited to 50mph. Audis would be set at 30mph to see if the tools who buy them will still do so...

As a relatively new caravaner I will say this I drive to my abilities and to the road conditions and always in a safe manner, I never go above 50mph and if you dont like that then pull over for ten mins and let me get well in front of you or go another way,,,,,, the speed limit is a limit not a "TARGET" I pay my dues just like most of the other road users if you dont like it let the train take the strain !!!!!!

Aye, just spy what's behind and pull in when safe to do so, let the train of vehicles pass and then continue. Been doing it for decades, it's just common sense.

Angel1.

On 11/08/2016 at 01:29, Jeddo said:

This applies to pushbike users, horses, road-licensed motability scooter users, caravans and tractors etc.

Cars seem to think they own the road, or have some sort of priority, ...they don't.

As a car driver, I have a lot more respect for other road users now.

At the end of the day, its all about courtesy and manners. We have a great reputation for those in this country, so let's keep up the standards!

Car users be a bit more understanding, or get some manners, and other users, just do what you can to help alleviate the pressure on the roads by travelling at times other than peak periods.

My Bold 

by the same token, how many caravaners would like to get stuck behind a moterbility scooter traveling in the centre of the lane, peddle to the metal at 8mph for 5-10 miles?

sorry for the bold i carnt get it off, it just came on