Switching broadband provider, but not to PlusNet.

Hi, we want to switch BB provider (currently paying VM over the odds).

Was looking at Fibre on PlusNet, but their price has shot up overnight, by over £9! Just goes to show, snap up a good thing while it's there!

Anyhow, now reviewing alternative suppliers. BT looks good, £25 pm incl. line rental, plus you get a £100 reward card (works out to £210 for a 12 month period). Wanted to ask them a few questions via email, but they don't seem to have an email address for sales enquires. Anyone know it?

Also, currently we're with VM, so will we need a new landline fitting?

Many thanks,

Chances are PlusNets prices have increased as BB providers are no longer allowed to 'hide' the line rental costs as they once did.

It's now got to be presented as one up-front cost.

Chances are PlusNets prices have increased as BB providers are no longer allowed to 'hide' the line rental costs as they once did.

It's now got to be presented as one up-front cost.

True. Plusnet website now states 'includes line rental' in all their package prices.

My Plusnet bill certainly hasn't gone up by £9 overnight.

Hi, we want to switch BB provider (currently paying VM over the odds).

Was looking at Fibre on PlusNet, but their price has shot up overnight, by over £9! Just goes to show, snap up a good thing while it's there!

Anyhow, now reviewing alternative suppliers. BT looks good, £25 pm incl. line rental, plus you get a £100 reward card (works out to £210 for a 12 month period). Wanted to ask them a few questions via email, but they don't seem to have an email address for sales enquires. Anyone know it?

Also, currently we're with VM, so will we need a new landline fitting?

Many thanks,

No, the prices haven't shot up over night...

What's happened, is a new law has kicked in, that means ISP's must provide a clear TOTAL cost of the connection, including the phone line rental cost as a whole, rather than how they used to be "£20 broadband" then in the small print talks about line rental etc...

EVERYONE has had to make this change, so any site you look at now, the prices will have either gone up and no longer include line rental at all (so is actually slightly cheaper than it was previously) or they are just the total cost of BB + Line Rental...

More info here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37818861

but in answer to your other questions.... phone BT... 0800 111 4567 - they will be able to help with any questions..

And yes, you're on Virgin Media, and if you don't already have an old BT line to the house, and an old BT socket anywhere, you will need a new line install (costs around £120 I think)

Edited by Ghozer

My Plusnet bill certainly hasn't gone up by £9 overnight.

For new sign-ups it has.

Their Fibre offer was (yesterday)...

£17.99 line rental.

£5.00 broadband.

18 month contract.

total = £23 pm = £414 for 18 months.

-£85 quid co cash back = £329 for 18 months (or £18.28 pm).

Their current (new today) Fibre 'offer'...

£27.50 pm (including line rental).

can't see any applicable quid co cash back offer.

£27.50 - £18.28 = £9.22

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 16:47 ----------

Sorry, my bad, there is a quid co cash back offer of £40 applicable to their (current) Fibre BB for 18 months. Factoring that in, it equates to a reduction of £2.22 pm (over an 18 month period).

So price increase, factoring in all offers, is exactly £7.

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 16:49 ----------

And yes, you're on Virgin Media, and if you don't already have an old BT line to the house, and an old BT socket anywhere, you will need a new line install (costs around £120 I think)

Yeah, that's another important factor for us to consider. PlusNet used to charge, I think £50, which they would waive for a new install with their Fibre BB, on the old offer (not sure if they still will).

Dang! Just goes to show, strike while the iron is hot! :(

Edited by Waldo

BT often offer line installation as a freebie when you go with them, which if you do need it can be quite enticing.

BT often offer line installation as a freebie when you go with them, which if you do need it can be quite enticing.

Ah, I didn't know... i'm with VM and happy with it.... I seem to remember some £120 charge for a line install / engineer call out for BT is all, it was a while ago though...

but in answer to your other questions.... phone BT... 0800 111 4567 - they will be able to help with any questions.

Thanks Ghozer. Just gave them a ring, after getting through their menus to talk to a sales person, she immediately started running through her script, argh! Cut her short and asked if there was an email address I could use for a sales enquiry (which, I prefer to use email than telephone conversation, as I can gather information better and make a better more informed judgement, and not get sidetracked by their sales patter etc).

Anyhow, no. Apparently, BT has no email address new people can use to make a sales inquiry. Eventually got told, best they could do was chat window (which, it's taking 5 minutes to connect to an agent). May have to resort to snail mail at this rate!

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 17:05 ----------

Yeah, that sounds pretty good. Their basic line rental and BB is £25 pm (but you get a £100 BT credit card type thing). So, factoring in that and the free BT line install. It's probably a better deal than PlusNet.

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 17:14 ----------

Ah, the person in chat just said if a line needs to be installed, it's £30.

The Online chat was going to be my next recommendation - I should have listed it earlier I guess ;)

oh well, Glad you got through to someone though! :)

Oooh, actually, PlusNet's business broadband looks like a nice offer. Also, has £90 cash back via Quid Co.

https://www.plus.net/business/broadband/

http://www.quidco.com/plusnet-business-broadband/

Only £1.99 plus £14.99 per month (not including VAT). There's a £50 line install fee. But considering you get £90 back on Quid Co, it's not a bad deal.

Does anyone else here have PlusNet's business broadband? Is it any good? Reliable?

Thanks!

Oooh, actually, PlusNet's business broadband looks like a nice offer. Also, has £90 cash back via Quid Co.

https://www.plus.net/business/broadband/

http://www.quidco.com/plusnet-business-broadband/

Only £1.99 plus £14.99 per month (not including VAT). There's a £50 line install fee. But considering you get £90 back on Quid Co, it's not a bad deal.

Does anyone else here have PlusNet's business broadband? Is it any good? Reliable?

Thanks!

If it's anything like other providers, you can only install at a registered business address..... (I know that's true for VM)

Worth doing some reading on support/feedback forums and websites, and maybe phone them and see if it's even a possibility.. :)

If it's anything like other providers, you can only install at a registered business address..... (I know that's true for VM)

Worth doing some reading on support/feedback forums and websites, and maybe phone them and see if it's even a possibility.. :)

Sure. It is actually a registered limited company address. Good idea to do a little more research though...