Sad tomato crop - why?

I still have outside tomatoes ripening and still flowering

The biggest problems are with old compost the cheap ones contain wood chip which takes out the nitrogen and costs the supplier nothing

I do not buy in advance and last year paid £7 per 75ltrs and have grown superb tomatoes indoor and out. I use a simple technique for outside toms and feed spareingly (once per week) over watering and overfeeding are a cause of yellowing foliage

I have lost my supplier of plants as the nursury intends to buy in ready to sell plants so may have to go back to seeding them myself. Growlights are a must for early tomato plants to fruit in July I had intended to grow 100 next year most of them outside as they look after themselves with my method

I still show when I think I will win so my methods are not publicised

Good luck to all growers. For next year, preparation for growing need to be done NOW for growing outside

Thanks for the link. What fruits there are seem Ok, they grow to the size of a large golf ball, which is about right for Ailsa/Alicante. No blemishes, taste fine. But the plants themselves stop growing at under 4 feet, the leaves turn yellow and the job stops. No blight on the fruits themselves.

I think I have been going wrong with not sterilising properly, so will do so in the autumn and again in the spring before planting. There is also an ants nest under the flagstones, those little b*ggers won't help either.

I tend to buy seed from the garden centre, likewise plants. Any better suggestions?

Best way to get rid of ants/ get a weed killer flame thrower on e/b about £20 . Its a little flame thrower with 4 butane canisters no more bending down for me. will fry all the ants in as bout 30 sec / Each canister will last about 1 hour .brilliant wife loves it magic for block paving etc :hihi: no weeds in my garden and pet friendly except ants

Edited by spider1

Thanks for all the comments.

I have now tidied up, jetwashed the pots and stacked them away. I will give them a 'Jeyes' spray before using them next year. I used patio cleaner on the concrete slab floor. this is mild hydrochloric acid, it made the ant's eyes water and they've gone away. I have also bought some fresh support canes.

Point taken re: compost. Where do you get it from?

I don't grow outside, I like Alicante and Ailsa Craig for taste, and will start some seeds off late March. Is that a good time?

Thanks, Tim

I would get Gardening Which? early each year. They do a trial of compost for seeds, potting on etc and carry out growth trials each year. They rank them from 'best buy' down to ones to avoid. They also mark them for consistency across various size bags and various outlets.

I think I am going to start sowing seeds on my windowsil in a months time..

I think I am going to start sowing seeds on my windowsil in a months time..

I would not sow tomato seed before 1st Mar and you need supplementary lighting in Mar and Apr otherwise you are wasting your time

Compost is very important but beware of 2017 stocks as they are worthless

A 15hrs daylight and the best compost will garantee succsess

I maybe able to supply some plants including grafted from the 1 May

Look for my posts

Barry

Well I suppose each to their own but I know plenty that have done them at the start of feb on a windowsil and they have been great with tomatoes

Well I suppose each to their own but I know plenty that have done them at the start of feb on a windowsil and they have been great with tomatoes

That is probably OK if only a few plants are needed but they do grow leggy and need turning twice a day which takes a bit of vigor out of them

The first flowers should be seen after 6/8 weeks and picking them 8more weeks after