Norfolk arms Dixon lane closed - Now reopened

Does anyone know why the Norfolk arms at the bottom of Dixon lane it was a nice pub always people in.It is boarded up now.

Can't help you with your question. The Norfolk Arms is a pub that I didn't often go in but I remember calling in one really hot summers evening in 1977 and having what must have been the finest pint of Stones I'd ever tasted.

The pub is owned by EI Group (formerly known as Enterprise Inns) so it could be the publican that leased it from them has ended their tenancy and closed the pub, however the lease isn't currently advertised on the EI website. https://www.eipublicanpartnerships.com/run-a-pub/pages/pub-search.aspx#?sb=distance&q=sheffield&d=10&v=list

There is a load of redevelopment planned around there but it doesn't appear to be affected looking at the map on this document https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/planning-and-development/city-wide-plans-and-reports/city-plan-2018-low-res.pdf

So not sure.

The pub is owned by EI Group (formerly known as Enterprise Inns) so it could be the publican that leased it from them has ended their tenancy and closed the pub, however the lease isn't currently advertised on the EI website. https://www.eipublicanpartnerships.com/run-a-pub/pages/pub-search.aspx#?sb=distance&q=sheffield&d=10&v=list

There is a load of redevelopment planned around there but it doesn't appear to be affected looking at the map on this document https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/planning-and-development/city-wide-plans-and-reports/city-plan-2018-low-res.pdf

So not sure.

They could be just doing it up and then advertise it. My nephew took the tenancy of the Roal Oak #1 the Shambles ( market square ), Chesterfield, just under two years ago and that was closed down and boarded up for quite some time before EI advertised it.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Probably another proper Sheffield pub that is destined to be resurrected as a pretend real ale house with a bar covered in beer pumps that bare names like Old Dick or Winter Warmer, this will bring in the men and women with beards and pink trousers who stand around discussing the latest Sushi salads or how to make jam from nettles.

Mean while the old Steel, Building and Demolition workers who have kept pubs like the Bottom of the Lane going for a couple of centuries will have been successfully got rid off by the new prices that will be asked for the cloudy Sheeps pithe that takes over from the Stones jungle juce, a ale that has kept Sheffields steel mills rolling for a hundred years .

Does anyone know why the Norfolk arms at the bottom of Dixon lane it was a nice pub always people in.It is boarded up now.

What's the option if you don't get enough customers? once the council started taking away the markets, Rag n Tag etc. you could see what would happen, Dixon Lane died, another thriving area. Bottom of the lane has relied heavily on its old customers for a long time but for some it's harder to get there now. You could knock on the window early morning and you would be let in for a pint but that's now a thing of the past. The pub itself is what pubs once were a place of enjoyment, discussion, singing and the occasional scrap I will be very sorry if it's closed and turned into flats. I lay the blame on the high cost of beer, the smoking ban and the council.

Bricklayers without work used to pop in for a pint and pop out with a job, the whole area has been dehumanised. Does anyone recall the Rock Tavern, a little further up Dixon Lane?

Probably another proper Sheffield pub that is destined to be resurrected as a pretend real ale house with a bar covered in beer pumps that bare names like Old Dick or Winter Warmer, this will bring in the men and women with beards and pink trousers who stand around discussing the latest Sushi salads or how to make jam from nettles.

Mean while the old Steel, Building and Demolition workers who have kept pubs like the Bottom of the Lane going for a couple of centuries will have been successfully got rid off by the new prices that will be asked for the cloudy Sheeps pithe that takes over from the Stones jungle juce, a ale that has kept Sheffields steel mills rolling for a hundred years .

A long time since steel workers drank on the job. Steelmaking is a completely different process to what it was 40 years ago. Not that I would expect you to know that.

Mean while the old Steel, Building and Demolition workers who have kept pubs like the Bottom of the Lane going for a couple of centuries will have been successfully got rid off by the new prices ...blah.. blah...

With respect, what a load of old twaddle.

As a proportion of income, Pub Beer prices have never been better value.

As a percentage of property prices, Pub Beer has never been cheaper.

I speak as someone who has been drinking beer in Sheffield's pubs every week since the 1980s and the choice and range of beer has never been better. I remember what beer tasted like when it was still the old breweries such as Wards, Stones, Whitbread etc. Those beers were inconsistent, bland and poor quality. Nowadays you can still get some old brands in most places, but there are also offerings which are far more satisfying.

CAMRA has won the battle, we live in the world capital of beer. You will have to do better to convince me that things were better in the old days.

Have you actually been in a pub recently as you sound just like an armchair moaner.

With respect, what a load of old twaddle.

As a proportion of income, Pub Beer prices have never been better value.

As a percentage of property prices, Pub Beer has never been cheaper.

I speak as someone who has been drinking beer in Sheffield's pubs every week since the 1980s and the choice and range of beer has never been better. I remember what beer tasted like when it was still the old breweries such as Wards, Stones, Whitbread etc. Those beers were inconsistent, bland and poor quality. Nowadays you can still get some old brands in most places, but there are also offerings which are far more satisfying.

CAMRA has won the battle, we live in the world capital of beer. You will have to do better to convince me that things were better in the old days.

Have you actually been in a pub recently as you sound just like an armchair moaner.

This is correct, does anyone remember Brew 10? We used to drink beer in carefully selected pubs, they were never the most fashionable, but the beer had a decent chance of being drinkable, this was in the 60’s and 70’s by the way.

Edited by Calahonda

I always try to avoid pubs where blokes walk in with their jumpers draped around their necks.

And as much as I like a good pint, never walk into a pub that's got a beer tasting session on & order a pint & take a good mouthful. You'll get nothing but disdain looks from those with 1/3 pint glasses analysing their drinks & marking them out of 10 for their floral bouquet & hoppyness.