Asda stopping selling loose fruit and veg.

Will you still use Asda or change supermarkets?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will you still use Asda or change supermarkets?

• Yes will change, I don't like wasting food.
    • No the veg is cheap enough to throw excess away.
    • Will still use Asda but go elsewhere for fruit and veg.

Just read this morning Asda are stopping selling loose fruit and veg, what a stupid idea in these days of too much food waste. Will you change supermarkets or just buy a pack of fruit or veg and throw excess away when it gets to BB date?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/asda-stops-selling-loose-fruit-10420711

Edited by iansheff

Just read this morning Asda are stopping selling loose fruit and veg, what a stupid idea in these days of too much food waste. Will you change supermarkets or just buy a pack of fruit or veg and throw excess away?

Why would you throw stuff away just because it's pre-packed?

Because according to what I have seen on the news a lot of people will throw food away when it gets to BB date and so waste it I will edit my post.

Because according to what I have seen on the news a lot of people will throw food away when it gets to BB date and so waste it I will edit my post.

:huh:

Hmmm...

... well this all seems a bit silly to me.

When you buy fruit and veg loose from a market you don't get a best before date, do you?

And you throw it away when 'you' decide it's no longer fit to eat.

So why would anyone throw away packaged fruit and veg just because the packaging tells them to?

I don't get it! :confused:

:huh:

Hmmm...

... well this all seems a bit silly to me.

When you buy fruit and veg loose from a market you don't get a best before date, do you?

And you throw it away when 'you' decide it's no longer fit to eat.

So why would anyone throw away packaged fruit and veg just because the packaging tells them to?

I don't get it! :confused:

Because people treat that best before or display until date as having magic powers.

As I challenge Mrs Obelix once - is that milk bad? Because it's 15 minutes past midnight now so did it do a Cinderalla and turn?

Like you say - no dates on the grocers marketstall. It's a mystery to me why people think so much of that date as well.

As for panicking about a speck of mould on bread and throwing all breaded products out (four loaves AND my morning crumpets!) and then having a blue cheese omelette... well words failed me. Apparantly she didn't know that blue cheese was due to mould....

Why would you throw stuff away just because it's pre-packed?

If you are forced to buy too much and can't use it or store it in the freezer. I don't waste a lot and I'll try to use stuff in say a soup and freeze it but I have a small freezer so that does limit me. I don't throw stuff away just because its past its date but of course some people do.

I only throw stuff that has had it and even then it goes on the compost bin.

Just been in Asda saw some apples that were loose to pick and also red onions and brown onions. Never thought to look at whether potatoes were loose or all bagged up.

Just read this morning Asda are stopping selling loose fruit and veg, what a stupid idea in these days of too much food waste. Will you change supermarkets or just buy a pack of fruit or veg and throw excess away when it gets to BB date?

Well Mrs gomgeg's been shopping to Asda today and she managed to buy both loose fruit and veg, some stuff she always picks her own individual items.

Mind you she can spend half an hour feeling at oranges, I don't know whether it's the texture or the firmness that fascinates her.

But are they the same price as the loose ones, they usually charge more per kg/lb for bagged.

Just been in Asda saw some apples that were loose to pick and also red onions and brown onions. Never thought to look at whether potatoes were loose or all bagged up.

Potatoes are bagged items.

Mind you she can spend half an hour feeling at oranges, I don't know whether it's the texture or the firmness that fascinates her.

thatll be why mine are all bruised then :help: