The Ponderosa - what was it?

Which Ponderosa is this all about?

When I was young in the forties and fifties the Netherthorpe Ponderosa was always just called The Tip and never known as the Ponderosa.

I thought the Ponderosa name came about from Bonanza in the 70's as mentioned by others. There is mosaic at the bottom end near Tesco depicting cowboys and Indians that was done about 10 years ago designed, I think, by local schoolchildren which hints at the locally held belief that the name came about due to the TV programme.

Great post manaman and very informative but it's obviously lost on some contributers.

The area known as The Ponderosa was behind the old infirmary it was named the Ponderosa by the Halfpenny football team from the Kelvin flats who used to train there. it was so named because of the white fence that surrounded it much like the ranch in one of the early 70s television westerns was it The High Chaperal or something like that. Jack Yates and Mickey Dawson used to run it.

Great post manaman and very informative but it's obviously lost on some contributers.

Thanks cat631:thumbsup:.

You can't win them all.

What I do find interesting, is how powerful and popular television was in those days. Here in Sheffield we had two diverse areas at opposite ends of the city, both commonly named after a ficticious ranch in a popular television series. I wonder how many other "Ponderosas" there are, or were in the U.K?

This thread is three years old :o

But in the interests of history....I do know that the Ponderosa was part of a small network of reservoirs in Sheffield.....there were 5 small linked ones.....including Crooks Valley Park.....and behind working up past what is now the Hallamshire Hospital. All date from the mid 1700's

There is more on this site :D

HI Treatment

can you remember the curtis family of Ranskill road and Pickering family who i think lived on Peacock Row.

we still see Nobby curtis.

Hello I used to live at 50 ranskill road and do remember both these families.Have just made contact with Stuart Crump ex resident of ranskill road.I also remember large family called ferraday spelling might b wrong "joyce sylvia dorothy arthur and others".

The 'Ponda' is a place I used play everyday as a kid and My Grandmother Lived right next to it on Oxford street, for most of her life.

It was named by her in the 70's and caught on amongst all us kids.

It refers to the ranch in the western tv series "bonanza" which we used to watch at her house.

Hello Lotti. I have an old map of the area, if you send your email address to my PM, I will copy it to you. It shows Ranskill Road or Row and New Row which later became Peacock Row.

I would be interested in seeing the map showing Ranskill Road please.

Hi anyone remember Margaret Ryan who was staying at no.7 Peacock Row in 1937, she had a daughter called Angela. Later married Horace Holmes and moved to 45 Abbey Lane.

The Nags Head on West Bar used to stick the Ship Inn West Bar at rounders on the Ponderosa every Easter Monday , I played for the Nags (now demolished ) at back stop.

So you don't remember the Ryan's then?