Rising Beer Prices!!

I know Leeds is definitely the best place around here for really good beer, having more craft bars per square km than virtually anywhere else in the country.

<Fetches popcorn>

I used to work and live in Cornwall. Some of the pubs down there had two price

lists. One for the locals and one for the tourists (emmets.)

Maybe it's the same in the Hope Valley.

My local in Minehead is £2.60 for a pint of St Austell Cornish. If you are down that way, it is the Kildare Lodge on Townsend Road in Minehead, a CAMRA pub.

http://www.kildarelodge.co.uk/

My beautifull bride and I have just dusted off our tourer caravan and visited the Hope Valley for a week!.Weather was mostly warm and sunny apart from one day,we visited a few local hostelries up and down the Valley for meals and a few beers!.We had lovely food at reasonable prices ranging from Indian in Hathersage to Sunday dinner at Bradwell,coffee and cake at Tideswell and lunch in Hope all on different days of course!.One thing took the shine off it for me,the price of the beer,for instance a pint of Smiths and a pint of Lager £8 and over,this was the norm everywhere apart from Hope which was £7 30p!.Call me tight but I reckon this price is the reason so many pubs are going under,I suppose it was that price because it was a tourist area but I feel ripped off and it spoiled the week for me,thats it moan over!.:rant::roll:

Well me owd tup...

No finer place than that there Hope Valley if you want a little break for a few days I agree. Used to spend many happy days there as a kid - in a static caravan on a site in Hope.

My needs then were much more basic than they are today. I'd be happy to watch the trains race by at the end of the field, kick a football around, play with the Border Collies on the farm, collect wood to make fires, build dens...and so on.

Now when I go to the Hope Valley it's usually a transient visit and includes walking, eating and drinking.

I've been out there a few times recently - they've had two Beer festivals at the Old Hall in Hope, on consecutive Bank Holidays, the first of which was especially good for it's range of excellent beers from all around the country.

Now, you sound like you're not a connoisseur of fine ale if you're happy with John Smiths? No disrepect btw - each to their own - but if you're paying close to £4 a pint, for what is actually a chemical brew of pretty awful beer, then really you ought to seek out some of the really excellent ale that is being produced by microbreweries and not only taste the difference, but feel the difference in your pocket.

I must admit, I don't mind paying far more than that for a good pint of real ale, but you usually don't have to in any case.

There's a whole new world of really good ale awaiting you. I suggest you keep an eye out for the next ale festival happening in the area and give it a go. I know many blokes who've done the same and switched from the mass-produced chemical beers and lagers, to traditional beer.

Well me owd tup...

No finer place than that there Hope Valley if you want a little break for a few days I agree. Used to spend many happy days there as a kid - in a static caravan on a site in Hope.

My needs then were much more basic than they are today. I'd be happy to watch the trains race by at the end of the field, kick a football around, play with the Border Collies on the farm, collect wood to make fires, build dens...and so on.

Now when I go to the Hope Valley it's usually a transient visit and includes walking, eating and drinking.

I've been out there a few times recently - they've had two Beer festivals at the Old Hall in Hope, on consecutive Bank Holidays, the first of which was especially good for it's range of excellent beers from all around the country.

Now, you sound like you're not a connoisseur of fine ale if you're happy with John Smiths? No disrepect btw - each to their own - but if you're paying close to £4 a pint, for what is actually a chemical brew of pretty awful beer, then really you ought to seek out some of the really excellent ale that is being produced by microbreweries and not only taste the difference, but feel the difference in your pocket.

I must admit, I don't mind paying far more than that for a good pint of real ale, but you usually don't have to in any case.

There's a whole new world of really good ale awaiting you. I suggest you keep an eye out for the next ale festival happening in the area and give it a go. I know many blokes who've done the same and switched from the mass-produced chemical beers and lagers, to traditional beer.

All beers contain chemicals mainly h2o, so called real beer will contain exactly the same chemicals of malt hops yeast and water.Which of the chemicals you object to?

oh my goodness all you moaners about the price of a pint get a grip!! you dont have to buy it also you have no idea about running a business and the charges involved vat, brewery, staff pensions etc etc.

i suggest you stay at home and brew your own and leave the nice pubs to the ones that just want to enjoy themselves.

All beers contain chemicals mainly h2o, so called real beer will contain exactly the same chemicals of malt hops yeast and water.Which of the chemicals you object to?

I believe he's comparing the vast difference in taste and quality of the locally produced ales and the mass produced fizzy, keggy smooth-flow bland stuff..... and has a very valid point.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

A lot of the pubs in Hope Valley are owned by Pub Co type companys and the landlord/pub manager has to sell the beers at the Pub Co prices not what he/she wants to sell them at

Locally brewed Stancil ales are fairly cheap. In the Albion on London Rd, all the Stancil range are £2.50 a pint. They range in alcohol from about 3.7 to 4.3%.

And £2.25 for CAMRA members in all their pubs. They're doing a range of World Cup themed beers at the moment (well, they are at the Closed Shop) - the "Golden Boot", 4.5% is an absolute snip.

I have been thinking this for ages.

Not so much the price but the difference from one place to another.

Can not remember when there has been such variance in price for the same product.

I only drink lager but in town you can pay from about £2.30-£3.80 for regular and £2.80- over £5 for premium.

I do not mind paying more for quality but often that is simply not the case.

Nothing wrong with a good weatherspoons in my eyes good choice and some decent pubs.

Its almost as expensive as here but at least the beer here is strong ,close to 6% for a standard strong beer and some bars have a limited bar menu with a beer thrown in for around £10 ....proper belly full too!

And £2.25 for CAMRA members in all their pubs. They're doing a range of World Cup themed beers at the moment (well, they are at the Closed Shop) - the "Golden Boot", 4.5% is an absolute snip.

Golden Boot and Early Exit were both nice at The Closed Shop, as was the food!