The "I am currently reading" thread

The Son by Jo Nesbo

Birdman, The Treatment, Skin and Gone by Mo Hayder - not for the faint hearted.

Have you read Pig Island by Mo Hayder? One of the oddest books I've ever read, but enjoyably so.

Hi Feargal, no, I haven't, but want to read all of her's. I have Poppet to read next then Wolf. I started reading Poppet, but chose something lighter for now.

I love that book. It's full of awful people, described in fabulously mocking terms, all of whom get exactly what they deserve. It's incredibly satisfying.

It's not the first time I've been unable to get along with a book everyone else seems to love!

I'm currently reading a book about ikagai, fairly interesting if not a little predictable

After a few charity table forgettable fillers, I've just started on Role Models by John Waters. It's an interesting collection of pieces about his inspirations, but as ever its more about him!. I always enjoy his writing :love:

Last read: N or M by Agatha Christie. Wartime effort in which the Beresfords hunt the mastermind behind a spy ring in a seaside boarding house. Quite entertaining but very easy to spot the villain.

Now reading: Hagar of the Pawn-Shop by Fergus Hume. For those who have that cartoon strip in mind, this Hagar is not a Viking but instead a gipsy girl who takes over a pawn-shop in a poor part of London and encounters various adventures based on its customers. Hume was English but grew up in New Zealand and Australia, where he published his first book, The Mystery of a Hansom Cab, which became the best selling detective story of the time. Unfortunately he'd sold the rights for £50 so never saw any of the proceeds, and he struggled to repeat its sucess with any of his (many) later books. I'm rather enjoying this one. Someone on Goodreads has been daft enough to complain about its racial stereotyping, but surely if you want to read something that's politically correct you wouldn't pick a book written in 1898?

Insidious Intent by Val McDermid. Latest in her series featuring Tony Hill and Carol Jordan. Good page turner but it's not one that will stick in my mind.

Insidious Intent by Val McDermid. Latest in her series featuring Tony Hill and Carol Jordan. Good page turner but it's not one that will stick in my mind.

I was the same with that one... Apart from the *obvious* bit, I can't actually remember much of it, and it was only a couple of weeks ago.:|

---------- Post added 18-06-2018 at 12:54 ----------

I'm having a bit of a book clear out. Does anyone fancy a load of Jo Nesbo books before they hit the charity table?

I'm in S6, but often in S1

I was the same with that one... Apart from the *obvious* bit, I can't actually remember much of it, and it was only a couple of weeks ago.:|

---------- Post added 18-06-2018 at 12:54 ----------

I'm having a bit of a book clear out. Does anyone fancy a load of Jo Nesbo books before they hit the charity table?

I'm in S6, but often in S1

I think Val just couldn't be bothered with the end of Insidious Intent, she obviously doesn't want to write the characters anymore who have become pale shadows of their previous selves. She probably thought "how can I have Reichenbach Fall moment".

As for Nesbo....tried him twice, I enjoyed part of Redbreast but ultimately it felt by the numbers, then I read the Snowman and decided to not bother ever again.

Edited by taxman

The Bounty Hunter Series by Joseph Anderson.

Blurb: The Bounty Hunter stories follow Burke, a veteran of the lost war for Earth, and Cass, an AI that embodies a suit of power armor and a starship.

A bit of Iron Man meets Starship Troopers meets The Stainless Steel Rat.

Just finished Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz - highly recommended to any fans of crime and detection!

Now reading something a bit more 'literary': The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon.

Recently finished the handmaids tale.