Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

Its knackered by sounds of it. Vauxhall are doing some great PCP deals at the moment, £325 a month and £4,000 down on a 18 month old Insignia. I'd just get shut and get something like this.

Hi there can anybody with mechanical knowledge tell me which way to loosen the locking nut on the track rod end appreciate the advice

Looking from the inside, Anti-clock wise. :thumbsup:

Hi pal im doing job at home so im not under vehicle i will take wheel off and be looking from outside of vehicle pal cheers

Looking from the inside, Anti-clock wise. :thumbsup:

Outside will be clockwise. :)

Depending on the individual vehicle, surely that would depend on whether the relevant track rod end has a left or right hand thread.

On mine, the track rod specifically has left hand thread at one end, and right at the other; so that slackening both locknut/pinch-bolts and twisting the tube varies the overall length, and thus adjusts the tracking. (hence it being called a track rod)

To the OP. compare the appearance of the exposed thread, near the locknut, with that of a conventional bolt. If the helix angle goes the same way, then Dardandec's advice holds true; if it goes the opposite way, then that particular TRE is a left hand thread, so the opposite direction for tightening/loosening is appropriate.

Those are pretty rare though, get them on some land rovers and a few classics but it's not common.

While doing the rod-end it's usually a good idea to check the condition of the rod at the same time.

Especially if it has a spherical joint near the rack end, these wear out and cause alot of slop in the steering.

Depending on the individual vehicle, surely that would depend on whether the relevant track rod end has a left or right hand thread.

On mine, the track rod specifically has left hand thread at one end, and right at the other; so that slackening both locknut/pinch-bolts and twisting the tube varies the overall length, and thus adjusts the tracking. (hence it being called a track rod)

To the OP. compare the appearance of the exposed thread, near the locknut, with that of a conventional bolt. If the helix angle goes the same way, then Dardandec's advice holds true; if it goes the opposite way, then that particular TRE is a left hand thread, so the opposite direction for tightening/loosening is appropriate.

I've never come across left hand track rod threads on a vauxhall hence why I didn't complicate matters. You probably didn't see the original thread that was moved to here which states a vauxhall vivaro.

I've never come across left hand track rod threads on a vauxhall hence why I didn't complicate matters. You probably didn't see the original thread that was moved to here which states a vauxhall vivaro.

Cheers for that; you're dead right, I didn't see the original title.

hi my airbag light is flashing on the dash board,Does anyone know how i can solve this please...thanks