Dog mess grass verges

The answer to the OP's question is that some owners simply wont clear up their dog's mess as it's a smelly, unpleasant job that they can get away without doing as the law is rarely enforced. Definitely out of order, but so are cat owners, who seem to absolve all responsibility for where their darling feline defecates or what wildlife/pets it tortures and kills. Never ceases to amaze me that the rules for cats are so different. I have to buy poo bags to regularly clear cat faeces from my garden and even from the tarmac right outside the front door.

What is a cat owner supposed to do? Follow their cat around 24/7 picking up after them?

Last week I was waiting for my dog to finish his poo when another dog walker walked past and said “ Hello” I took my eye off the ball, as it were to look at him to reply.

I looked back and saw that my dog had finished.

I dutifully bagged the offending material only to look and see another pile which actually belonged to my dog!!

I had only bagged the wrong poop!!

I wasn’t a happy bunny.

What is a cat owner supposed to do? Follow their cat around 24/7 picking up after them?

Taking some responsibility for your cat and the distress it can potentially cause neighbours would help. The same applies for where dog mess is a problem - owners taking responsibility is key.

In terms of reducing the need for others to pick up your cat's faeces (whilst trying to avoid the risk of toxoplasmosis), there are various options:

- have an indoor cat

- teach your cat to use your toilet http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-toilet.htm

- let your cat enjoy the safety of your garden but not cause problems for other people by containing it there https://protectapet.com/how-it-works-cats/

- provide a toileting area in your own garden that can be dealt with regularly

- speak to your neighbours and encourage them to let you know if your cat is becoming a nuisance and offer to clear mess, etc.

In terms of reducing the need for others to pick up your cat's faeces (whilst trying to avoid the risk of toxoplasmosis),

Does anyone actually suffer from toxoplasmosis, caused by cats? Do all other wild animals carry toxoplasmosis, are cats just a small percentage of the cause?

Does anyone actually suffer from toxoplasmosis, caused by cats? Do all other wild animals carry toxoplasmosis, are cats just a small percentage of the cause?

"Cats (wild cat species and domestic cats) are the definitive hosts, meaning they are the only animals in which replication of the parasite involved (T gondii) can result in the production of oocysts (eggs), which are then shed in the faeces."

Other animals can act as intermediate hosts, as in, they become infected but don't produce eggs. Eating undercooked meat can also lead to infection.

The numbers of people affected is not the point really; people shouldn't be exposed to the potential risk due to having to clear up cat poo when they have not opted to keep a cat themselves.

Are you allowed to squirt water using a water pistol at cats in your garden if they are using it as latrine? Or is there some law against it?

Are you allowed to squirt water using a water pistol at cats in your garden if they are using it as latrine? Or is there some law against it?

You can buy those sonic cat scarers that are harmless.I have been told they work.I dont suppose a water pistol would hurt them.

You can buy those sonic cat scarers that are harmless.I have been told they work.I dont suppose a water pistol would hurt them.

Goes thru me to have to pay for some kit if I'm being honest. Its not just the fouling that gets on nerves its more they seem to have put off the birds coming into the garden using the feeders, you can see them stalking the birds, then after they've had their fun they leave the dead bird and bloodied feathers for me to clear up.

Goes thru me to have to pay for some kit if I'm being honest. Its not just the fouling that gets on nerves its more they seem to have put off the birds coming into the garden using the feeders, you can see them stalking the birds, then after they've had their fun they leave the dead bird and bloodied feathers for me to clear up.

My sister bought one for the same reason cats kept getting the birds,they do work so i suppose worth it in the long run.

Guest makapaka

When was the last time you stood in cat muck?

In our village, it's all over the paths! Honestly, the culprit must do nothing but eat! We are not talking little piles here. It's disgusting! It's been going on for weeks, yet still it's not been dealt with. I'll never understand the mentality of some dog owners that point blank refuse to clean up after their own dog. I'd feel guilty throwing an empty wrapper on the streets. There's many bins. Just no need really.

Thank goodness we are a Nation of dog lovers and that daft suggestion would never be used.

angel1.

You are of course entitled to your opinion Angelfire as am I ... the difference being that I have never stooped to belittle any of your opinions just because I don't like them.

My offered solution is a actually compromise. I don't think any people should have pets at all if they cant train them or cage them and be responsible for their actions.

You can train dogs to crap on demand some dog owners are not fit people to own an animal they choose not to care about their environment or their neighbours and clearly cant control them. And there is no reasonable argument against that.