Private tenant fees?

Hi, I’m after some advice. I’ve been a tennant with Blundells for two and a half years in the same house, my landlord has now decided he is changing letting agents who have contacted me and told me I have to pay £165 for a new contract and me and my partner have also got to pay £30 each for a reference. This is money I don’t have spare at the minute and think is really unfair I have to pay when moving agents has got nothing to do with me, is there anything I can do??

Hi, I’m after some advice. I’ve been a tennant with Blundells for two and a half years in the same house, my landlord has now decided he is changing letting agents who have contacted me and told me I have to pay £165 for a new contract and me and my partner have also got to pay £30 each for a reference. This is money I don’t have spare at the minute and think is really unfair I have to pay when moving agents has got nothing to do with me, is there anything I can do??

I suggest that you have a discussion with Blundells relative to them re-locating you on a no fee basis, after all they do know you. Conversally why not tell the new agents that you are willing to stay on a no fee basis. Have a look at your contents insurance policy (if applicable), you may have legal expenses cover, it’s often amazing what effect a solicitors letter has.

Good luck to you.

Edited by Calahonda

You would have paid a bond via Blundells, you should get this back as they would no longer be the agent/agency..

This bond, should be more than enough to cover said fees, as it's usually at LEAST one months rent...

You would have paid a bond via Blundells, you should get this back as they would no longer be the agent/agency..

This bond, should be more than enough to cover said fees, as it's usually at LEAST one months rent...

Then the new agent would require a new bond.

If you are currently a sitting tenant I don't see why you have to pay anything?

Blundells are not your agent, they are agents for the landlord.

Keep paying your rent to the landlord and tell the agents to go swivel, you don't need a new contract and you don't need credit checking.

Keep paying your rent to the landlord and tell the agents to go swivel, you don't need a new contract and you don't need credit checking.

That’s exactly what I thought!!

---------- Post added 28-02-2018 at 17:07 ----------

Yeah apparently that is just going to get transferred across to the new agents for when I do leave!

Your bond should be with these guys if you started renting after 2007 - on behalf of the landlord

https://www.depositprotection.com

It shouldn't be held with the agents anymore

http://www.gov.uk/deposit-protection-schemes-and-landlords

You must place your tenants’ deposit in a tenancy deposit protection (TDP) scheme if you rent out your home on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007.

Speak to Citizens Advice ASAP. Its not fair that you should stump up for a new reference just because the landlord is changing agents.

Your landlord should instruct Blundells to transfer existing contracts and references to the new agent at his expense.

But I bet there's some small print in the contract weaseling out of it. Roll on the law changes.

https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2017/11/tenant-fees-ban-could-see-landlords-and-letting-agents-charged-thousands-of-pounds/

Edited by alchresearch

Politely, firmly, refuse.

You are under absolutely no obligation to sign a new agreement (AST) or be referenced again. The Agent might well be trying it on. The Agent is likely just treating the Landlord (hence you) as new business (start with a conversation with them and report back here what they tell you). If you wish you can always use the phrase - "I've taken advice and..."?

I've read some other advice on here with my eyes wide open!

The Giraffe is wrong. Deposits can be held with Agents (Insured Schemes - even the DPS offers one) but the whole focus on the deposit is irrelevant here anyway.

geared is correct.

Ghozer must be insane, surely?

Calahonda says stuff that just seems weird - what's relocating got to do with anything?

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 14:56 ----------

I would like to add... I often hear of Landlords who make use of the services Agents provide who just don't know what those Agents are up to (on their behalf) and might be shocked if they learned. There is always a good route back to the Landlord themselves, if needed and possible to follow up on. It is a sad fact that some Landlords who use Agents do not have the time, or the interest, in their properties or Tenants and just blindly follow what the Agents tell them. Agents have it good - they have 2 parties they can bluff and make money from.

Edited by Hippogriff

Yes. As a letting agent (A) acts for L, it follows that T has no obligation to pay any fees to A.

All being well, it will soon become unlawful for A (or L) to demand such fees from T: see https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-action-to-ban-letting-agent-fees