Jeremy Paxman advocates people over 65 should not be able to vote

People over 65 now were no better of we did not pay £40 + for a mobile phone contract most did not have a car never mind paying for a car loan we were taught if you can't pay for it save up and pay for it. Foreign holidays were very rare and no credit cards.

What has any of that to do with Jeremy Paxman saying that over 65s should not be allowed to vote?

He's not thought it through that well has he as the over 65's only make up around 18% of the population. Then take into account that not all will be voters and the fact that voting turnout is not 100% it must only be about 10-12% overall.

I think he is forgetting that a lot of over 65,s didn't have a wealthy life,i know lots of over 65,s who are not wealthy and that have lived in social housing all their lives including my parents.Thats not to say they didn't work,all my family have worked including my grandparents, male and female but they still did not get to earn enough money to own their own homes,i am the first to do so.If he doesn't want a vote or winter fuel allowance then lucky for him,but all over 65,s should not get tarred with the same brush has him in being labelled selfish.

Probably all Paxmans friends are like him and work in very well paid jobs and so easily able to afford to buy their own houses and don't need help to keep warm in the winter. A lot of older peoples pensions have been less than they expected due to circumstances beyond their control, brought on by wealthy bankers and business tycoons ie a certain Mr Green. Perhaps Paxman would be better talking out of his mouth instead of the orifice in the lower half of the body.

No votes for over 65s, ok, so nobody 65 and over can be voted for then!

Edited by pintor

No votes for over 65s, ok, so nobody 65 and over can be voted for then!

Hear, hear, old boy!:thumbsup:

What a load of rubbish. I think after 65 years of experience, years of working, years of paying taxes, years of bringing up families etc, over 65s have well and truly earned the right to vote.

Just more divide and conquer tactics. Lets find a vulnerable group we can blame for the mess we're in then people won't pick on us.

Youngsters should remember what goes around comes around, they themselves will be old one day. If they want things to change they need to fight for it by dealing with the elites who make the rules, not the OAPs who simply follow them.