Ronnie O'Sullivan

Already established as the greatest player ever to grace the green baize.

Why was he not nominated for SPOTY?

Maybe because he wasn't born with a silver spoon or doesn't ride a horse. There's no doubt in my mind about this....it's all in the title....PERSONALITY. Absolute oodles of skill in his chosen sport, longevity, and above all...personality.

The public gets to choose who wins SPOTY so why don't we get to pick the nominees?

Establishment?????

Just like Fishing, and Darts. Snooker is not recognised as a Sport by the Establishment. So

even if nominated will never win.

Just like Fishing, and Darts. Snooker is not recognised as a Sport by the Establishment. So

But the public are not the Establishment, if he was nominated and was popular enough, he could still win, especially if there were no stand outs in the competition.

Snookers not recognised as a sport ? What is it then ? :huh:

Various thoughts about this.

Not necessarily a bias against snooker, darts etc. Hendry and Davis have both been in the running in the past, and Phil Taylor was in it a few years ago I remember - which was surprising given that the BBC barely even acknowledge the existence of the PDC.

Yes, odd that O'Sullivan has never even been nominated given that he's the Don Bradman or Phil Taylor of snooker, and that snooker is one of the few games/sports that is still shown on the BBC at top level.

I'm not sure that O'Sullivan would actually want to be nominated ... or that might depend on how he's feeling at the time. And if he was nominated, his behaviour on the night would also depend on how he was feeling - a chance the BBC might not want to take.

My comments were purely hypothetical as I don't know much about the chap' What I meant was that if a successfull figure is nominated for an award even in a marginal sport , he has a chance to win, if he is popular enough with fans.

All good and valid comments but given that the title contains 'Personality', since when did Ronnie not have a personality?

If Alex Higgins. Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry have been previously nominated, I cannot imagine how Ronnie O'Sullivan has been bypassed. Perhaps it's down to his differences of opinion with the snooker establishment. Ah, there's that word - establishment - again.

It's time the SPOTY 'establishment' stopped presenting the public with their filtered selection of favourites and threw the nomination process out to the public.

Snookers not recognised as a sport ? What is it then ? :huh:

A game, trish.

I think he'll get shortlisted in 2018.

That won’t solve the problem though, will it?

For my dough, the BBC should poll for 3 nominees via a SPOTY webpage. This achieves 2 objectives:

1. It lets the public choose the nominees

2. The top dozen or so nominees make it through to the televised final and the final order of merit has already been determined by the public poll

Not rocket science. The Rocket Science comes later when Ronnie publishes his manual on snooker :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Letting the public nominate risks the chance of a Boaty Mcboatface incident.

Remember lots of people tried to get Jedi recognised as a religion.

Letting the public nominate risks the chance of a Boaty Mcboatface incident.

Remember lots of people tried to get Jedi recognised as a religion.

Common sense usually prevails in these situations.

Let the public decide !!!

Am I missing something here?...

If indeed it is a panel of BBC experts who draw up the shortlist of nominees...

Would it not make sense for the to include a snooker player?

It would be a bit of free self-publicity would it not?...Seeing as though the snooker at the crucible is pretty much the only sport in which the BBC have sole rights for...

I believe this post relates to the interview with Stephen Hendry in the morning tabloids today? In which he said something along the lines of (roughly quoted) "They all seem to forget Snooker as a sport and it is wrong!...snooker players do as many wonderful things on a snooker table as Lewis Hamilton can in a car"

No snooker players have featured in shortlisting for SPOTY since the whole system was changed back in 2010....I guess that speaks volumes in it's own right.