Who should all those motorcycle safety signs be aimed at ?

Who has put up all those "beware of motorcycles" signs on Pensitone Rd (and others I assume) ? And who are they aimed at ? Are they aimed at motorcyclists urging them to ride more safely ? Or are they aimed at car drivers telling them to concentrate on the possibility a motorcyclist could be filtering through or overtaking them on the inside ? I have to say, speaking as an ex motorcyclist, if the aim of those signs is to reduce motorcyclist accidents they`d be better off aiming them at the former rather than the latter.

Take the following example. I was driving along Pensitone Rd, I was just about to pass the left turn for Bradfield Rd when a motorcyclist (and not a learner) overtook me on the inside (at some speed I have to add) in the cycle lane ! What if I was turning left but forgot to indicate ? To be frank if I had turned left and hit him it really would have been his own fault, what was he thinking ?

Filtering is a risky business, it should be done only with the greatest of care. Remember, you`re not supposed to make three lanes of traffic when there`s only two lanes, car drivers will always have that in their sub conscious, those signs should be aimed at motorcyclists reminding them to filter slowly (or not at all in moving traffic), and they should be more straightforward about it.

Who has put up all those "beware of motorcycles" signs on Pensitone Rd (and others I assume) ? And who are they aimed at ? Are they aimed at motorcyclists urging them to ride more safely ? Or are they aimed at car drivers telling them to concentrate on the possibility a motorcyclist could be filtering through or overtaking them on the inside ? I have to say, speaking as an ex motorcyclist, if the aim of those signs is to reduce motorcyclist accidents they`d be better off aiming them at the former rather than the latter.

Take the following example. I was driving along Pensitone Rd, I was just about to pass the left turn for Bradfield Rd when a motorcyclist (and not a learner) overtook me on the inside (at some speed I have to add) in the cycle lane ! What if I was turning left but forgot to indicate ? To be frank if I had turned left and hit him it really would have been his own fault, what was he thinking ?

Filtering is a risky business, it should be done only with the greatest of care. Remember, you`re not supposed to make three lanes of traffic when there`s only two lanes, car drivers will always have that in their sub conscious, those signs should be aimed at motorcyclists reminding them to filter slowly (or not at all in moving traffic), and they should be more straightforward about it.

I think they should be and are aimed at both. But, as a driver, I always aim to know what is on my inside before I turn left or move over into a left lane, (and especially so if I am having to cross another lane to turn left) so I would expect to see a cyclist or motorcyclist if they were passing on my left. So in that sense, it doesn't bother me if someone passes on my left. However, I concede it is riskier as the overtaker is generally less likely to be seen.

So somehow you not checking your mirror has become someone else's fault.

Don't forget.....Cars can kill people, always remember that when you`re driving.......

Don't forget.....Cars can kill people, always remember that when you`re driving.......

I try to, but, like everyone else, I`m not perfect. As it happens I didn`t turn left into him, and I try to remember to indicate at all times, but many people don`t, as I`m sure you`re aware if you drive.

---------- Post added 19-11-2015 at 16:50 ----------

So somehow you not checking your mirror has become someone else's fault.

I`m sure you know as well as I do that if there`d been as accident the motorcyclist (overtaking someone in a cycle lane at, I estimate, 30mph+) would have been at fault. He would be trying to prove that someone hadn`t indicated, which I don`t actually see how he could. But, as far as I`m aware, I may be wrong, indicating, or not indicating, does not actually mean that much in terms of whose fault an accident would be. The most classic case being on roundabouts.

---------- Post added 19-11-2015 at 16:53 ----------

I think they should be and are aimed at both. But, as a driver, I always aim to know what is on my inside before I turn left or move over into a left lane, (and especially so if I am having to cross another lane to turn left) so I would expect to see a cyclist or motorcyclist if they were passing on my left. So in that sense, it doesn't bother me if someone passes on my left. However, I concede it is riskier as the overtaker is generally less likely to be seen.

I agree, but would add, more importantly, less likely to be expected *. And no amount of road safety signs will change that.

* Particularly as, let`s face it, the vehicle overtaking you on the inside (especially in a cycle lane ! ) shouldn`t actually be doing it

Does it matter who they are aimed at?

If one person, be it a car driver, motorcyclist, bus driver, lorry driver takes notice and it prevents some one getting hurt then it's job is done.

I agree, but would add, more importantly, less likely to be expected *. And no amount of road safety signs will change that.

* Particularly as, let`s face it, the vehicle overtaking you on the inside (especially in a cycle lane ! ) shouldn`t actually be doing it

So if there's a car in the right hand lane stopped waiting for an opportunity to turn right, you don't overtake in the left hand lane?

I`m sure you know as well as I do that if there`d been as accident the motorcyclist (overtaking someone in a cycle lane at, I estimate, 30mph+) would have been at fault. He would be trying to prove that someone hadn`t indicated, which I don`t actually see how he could. But, as far as I`m aware, I may be wrong, indicating, or not indicating, does not actually mean that much in terms of whose fault an accident would be. The most classic case being on roundabouts.

You think it's the indicating that's important, when it's the looking that actually is.

It would be much easier to "beware of motorcyclists" if they were travelling at a speed that didn't mean you'd miss them if you blinked. Unless it's a learner on an underpowered lawnmower engine, it's very rare a motorbike is travelling even close to the speed limit.

It would be much easier to "beware of motorcyclists" if they were travelling at a speed that didn't mean you'd miss them if you blinked. Unless it's a learner on an underpowered lawnmower engine, it's very rare a motorbike is travelling even close to the speed limit.

Some do, but it doesn't worry me. They are soon on their way. This is easier than when they are traveling at roughly the same speed and so they are a constant concern as they can move in and out of blind spots, unless they are directly behind.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that any experienced driver could post that comment.

OK on this occasion you saw him/her, as I would hope that any observant driver would.

Are you complaining that he was a motorbike in a cycle lane filtering past?

A cyclist in a cycle lane is likely to be quieter, smaller and even harder to see, so are you also suggesting that cycles shouldn't pass other traffic whilst they are in a cycle lane. I'm dumbfounded.

Whilst the majority of multi vehicle accidents involving motorcyclists seem to be the car driver's fault, I would accept that many of them could have been avoided if the biker had used a bit more common sense, but in no way should it excuse the blame to the person legally at fault.

By the way, I have motorbikes, a couple of 4x4s and a car; I cycle occasionally as well; when I'm using any of them, and even on foot, I minimise the time I spend in someone else's blind spot, but even that doesn't help if some fool can't be bothered to look properly whether they are indicating or not.

Edited by peak4

Does it matter who they are aimed at?

If one person be it a car driver, motorcyclist, bus driver, lorry driver takes notice and it prevents some one getting hurt then it's job is done.

Rubbish.

You sound like you work for the council or the government.