The work capability assessment should be declared “unfit” to work.

Research published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health this week has found a correlation between a 5% rise in suicides, a 0.5% rise in the prescribing of anti depressant medication and an 11% increase in the number of self-referrals for mental health problems. It would seem that this tougher work capability assessment might be doing more harm than good.

I personally don’t have a problem with the principle of being assessed for disability related benefits - it is necessary. But for mentally unwell people to be assessed by people who quite possibly have no training in mental health is ridiculous. Shouldn’t cases be assessed by a professional with training in the relevant area? Why is this not happening?

The DWP does point out that this study may be misleading - in that the numbers were not cases taken directly from WCA applicants, and also that it is only a correlation - so cause and effect cannot be implicitly stated. Despite that, I feel that there need to be changes implemented to the entire policy - it clearly isn’t working.

Story here:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/nov/16/fit-for-work-tests-serious-toll-mental-health-work-capability#_=_

It should not be up to the government to decide whether people can work or not. The only person who knows is the person themselves. If someone doesn't want to work, the government has no right to force them to by financial bullying.

It should not be up to the government to decide whether people can work or not. The only person who knows is the person themselves. If someone doesn't want to work, the government has no right to force them to by financial bullying.

Tbf they dont have to work, but they cant expect the taxpayer to fund their benefits either.

Tbf they dont have to work, but they cant expect the taxpayer to fund their benefits either.

We live in a wealthy country. People should not be forced to work if they are either unsuited to working or unable to work. I thought we had moved beyond this but the Tories seem to have turned back the clock somehow.

We live in a wealthy country. People should not be forced to work if they are either unsuited to working or unable to work. I thought we had moved beyond this but the Tories seem to have turned back the clock somehow.

Sad to say - this is the tip of the iceberg.

If the government are going to provide financial assistance to people, then I believe it has a right to assess whether they are eligible for that assistance. I don’t personally see assessing them as bullying.

What I take issue with is the fact that they are being wrongly assessed, and I suspect that it is due to the assessors not being qualified in mental health. Mentally ill people are vulnerable to start with - subjecting them to needless appeals will make them even more so. I just think there has to be a better way.

What does unsuited to working mean? That wealth is created by other people working, so only those in need should be able to access support. People who dont want to work can make that choice but the state can also decide not to give benefits if they feel the person can work. Why do you feel the state should support people who just dont want to work? What if everyone decided that?

Help for those medically unfit to work yes, a fair test to help decide who is unfit, but those who are fit should be allowed to refuse just becayse they dont want.

Mental health is a difficult area to assess as very many people with mental health issues DO work and actually benefit from working.

---------- Post added 17-11-2015 at 11:51 ----------

What does unsuited to working mean? That wealth is created by other people working, so only those in need should be able to access support. People who dont want to work can make that choice but the state can also decide not to give benefits if they feel the person can work. Why do you feel the state should support people who just dont want to work? What if everyone decided that?

Help for those medically unfit to work yes, a fair test to help decide who is unfit, but those who are fit should be allowed to refuse just becayse they dont want.

Agree.

I don't really 'want' to work but know I 'have' to work to keep me and my family safe.

Benefits should be available to people who do not feel up to working. We can easily afford it. No-one benefits from people being forced to work against their will, not the people being forced, not the people they have to work with, and not society as a whole.

Benefits should be available to people who do not feel up to working. We can easily afford it. No-one benefits from people being forced to work against their will, not the people being forced, not the people they have to work with, and not society as a whole.

Define 'do not feel up to working' please.

If you hadnt noticed we are running a massive deficit. Define what you mean by not feel like working. Many people dont like it but they do work so they can earn a living. The country is only able to fund itself by people working.

How can we "easily afford it"? Who do you propose to tax more, or what other services/spending do you propose to cut?

In response to the OP:

I must say that I think these work assessments are a good idea extremely poorly implemented. I despair at the chronic inability of the UK government to reform vital public spending without widespread death.