Holiday pay ruling to impact millions of workers

"A closely-watched ruling will, later on Tuesday, determine whether millions of workers are entitled to claim for overtime to be included in holiday pay."

As a worker it sounds good, it'll never happen because of this:

"The government wants to get the right balance between the needs of employers and employees," said a spokesperson for the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills"

I'm wondering if the spokesperson for the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills actually said that and it didn't come from a government minister because of this:

"But the coalition argues that overtime should not be used in holiday pay calculations."

Well, it comes as no surprise the tories and greedy business owners/shareholders don't want anything to benefit the worker, especially something that will dilute their share of dividends.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29884867

Back in the 70's when I did a spell in the steel works, their system worked pretty well I thought. Holiday pay was accrued as a percentage of your weekly wage. Each week the payslip would display how much you had accrued so far. I'm fairly sure that overtime was counted. The flipside of course meant that anyone taking days off with no doctors note, accrued zero for those days.

I don't think that it would be fair on companies if the ruling sticks them with a back pay bill though.

Back in the 70's when I did a spell in the steel works, their system worked pretty well I thought. Holiday pay was accrued as a percentage of your weekly wage. Each week the payslip would display how much you had accrued so far. I'm fairly sure that overtime was counted. The flipside of course meant that anyone taking days off with no doctors note, accrued zero for those days.

I don't think that it would be fair on companies if the ruling sticks them with a back pay bill though.

Holiday pay always took in shift payments where I worked but not overtime.

The agreement between me and my employees was that holiday pay does not include overtime. I don't see that it is reasonable for the EU to tell us now that they wish to move the goalposts. And to add idiocy to injury they are saying we should apply it retrospectively. Should businesses now be issuing retrospective invoices to customers to cover the shortfall in charges on what can already be very tight margins?

Far from helping workers: as they make it more and more difficult complicated and unpredictable to employ people, small businesses simply won't do it.

Overtime should count in holiday pay a tribunal has decided.

Great! Let's move the goalposts...:loopy:

"Due to the costs involved many employers may now look to reduce the availability of overtime, where feasible"

Great news for workers

Great! Let's move the goalposts...:loopy:

You wouldn't say that if they moved them in what, you're trying to make out, would be your favour though

You wouldn't say that if they moved them in what, you're trying to make out, would be your favour though

I wouldn't take back pay off my staff. Never have, never would. Total rubbish. I have an agreement with them, why would I change that? What I object to is people telling me how I can employ people and moving the goalposts.

I'm guessing this will only pose a liability risk to companies where their employees accrue holiday based on their pay. Companies that simply give all their employees a basic 25 day, or whatever, holiday entitlement will be okay won't they?

I'm guessing this will only pose a liability risk to companies where their employees accrue holiday based on their pay. Companies that simply give all their employees a basic 25 day, or whatever, holiday entitlement will be okay won't they?

No. It's about how much they are paid. An employer sits down with a potential employee, agrees how much they will be paid, agrees how much holiday pay will be then employs the person. The person is happy in their work at that rate, the employer is happy with them at that rate, then someone comes along and changes it and meddles in the agreement. It is foolish and myopic.

No. It's about how much they are paid. An employer sits down with a potential employee, agrees how much they will, agrees how much holiday pay will be. Employees the person. The person is happy in their work at that rate, the employer is happy with them at that rate, then someone comes along and changes it and meddles in the agreement. It is foolish and myopic.

I agree with your sentiments, but how does that effect a company that gives a basic 25 days holiday to all employees and pays time and a half on voluntary overtime to some employees when needed?