Insulating passage roof

We share a passageway between our terraced house with our neighbours, and in the past few weeks we've really felt the cold whistling through the gaps and up into the house.

What's the best thing to use to insulate? Will standard insulation boards do, or does it need some fancy outdoor version?

Thanks in advance!

be careful when taking down the old boards if they are the original ones they could be asbestos ? once the boards have been removed and you can see the joists you could put in either rockwool insulation or kingspan boards cut down to fit between joists. to finish off personally i would double board with 12.5mm plasterboard and skim. depends on how much you want to spend

Thanks ricgem. On closer inspection, the roof is mainly down to the lats. I doubt its been touched since it was built 100+ years ago!

Not bothered about the cosmetic appearance, so would skimming have any other benefits?

Thanks ricgem. On closer inspection, the roof is mainly down to the lats. I doubt its been touched since it was built 100+ years ago!

Not bothered about the cosmetic appearance, so would skimming have any other benefits?

the skimming would just give it a finish thats all the double boarding would give it fire protection :thumbsup:

the skimming would just give it a finish thats all the double boarding would give it fire protection :thumbsup:

aha, thanks. :clap:

Id look to get some Kingspan in there. Prevent further heat loss.

Personally I wouldn’t plaster or plasterboard anything that’s outside open to the elements if your wanting it to last.

Plaster and plasterboard is made up of gypsum which is like a sponge for moisture.

I’d expect a Render carrier board, cement particle board or the like over insulation to last a lot longer albeit a little more expensive.

All of the above is readily available at most builders merchants

Edited by Mac_Plas

Kingspan between floor joists fiberboard over to stop moisture from getting in easy solved.

Personally I wouldn’t plaster or plasterboard anything that’s outside open to the elements if your wanting it to last.

Plaster and plasterboard is made up of gypsum which is like a sponge for moisture.

I’d expect a Render carrier board, cement particle board or the like over insulation to last a lot longer albeit a little more expensive.

All of the above is readily available at most builders merchants

thanks mac. Would I still have to render a render carrier board, or can it be left? The passage doesn't get sopping wet, as there is a brick arch below the roof line acting as a buffer, but of course there will be a bit of rain and damp air finding its way in.

We are working to a budget, but we need it to last... Preferably another 100 years ;)

---------- Post added 06-03-2018 at 07:37 ----------

Kingspan between floor joists fiberboard over to stop moisture from getting in easy solved.

due to furniture, carpets etc all the work will have to be done from below. Presumably the more insulated layers we can get in there the better.

thanks mac. Would I still have to render a render carrier board, or can it be left? The passage doesn't get sopping wet, as there is a brick arch below the roof line acting as a buffer, but of course there will be a bit of rain and damp air finding its way in.

We are working to a budget, but we need it to last... Preferably another 100 years ;)

I think you’d be ok just painting the boards with a good quality exterior paint. Marine ply would be another option, Possibly better