Someone else is living in the house

But if the tenant has been been a leaseholder for many years and comes under the 1977 Rent Act, then that surely, is the most up to date tenancy agreement that the tenant can abide by, so no need to write a new tenancy agreement. Also, I would have thought having a tenant in the property for so long would mean the 1977 Rent Act supersedes any previous tenancy. Have you read the 1977 Rent Act? All information re. succession to the tenancy and which family members can inherit the tenancy, albeit as an assured tenant paying market rent, is in there. Also, the family member who inherits the tenancy, is under no obligation to accept any improvements, such as central heating you may wish to make.

When I gained my tenancy, I was just informed to refer to the 1988 Assured Tenancy Act. No other tenancy agreement between L and T was required.

If the Tennant can't produce a copy of the tenancy then how does the landlord know the what he can and can't do?

If the Tennant can't produce a copy of the tenancy then how does the landlord know the what he can and can't do?

The 1977 Rent Act will have to apply instead. There is a later 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act, that states what repairs the landlord is responsible for by law, regardless of what the landlord has written in the tenancy agreement.