Why do people gossip ?

What concerns me about gossip, is if they have got the facts right - one might never know, so cannot put things straight.:)

Isn't that true of most conversations though?

Isn't that true of most conversations though?

I don't know, I don't eavesdrop - you think it's true then?

I’ve often wondered why people like to gossip, including myself. Why do we do it, and why do we like to do it ? I’ve come to the conclusion that it makes us feel safe, and gives us a feeling of excitement . What do you think ? Do you gossip now and again ?

Imagine multiple reasons Patricia. Mostly to fill the need to connect, fit in and be accepted socially, i.e. an exercise in bonding. Also, it could be an attempt to manipulate opinion towards the individual being gossiped about, i.e. I don't like 'x', so will try any isolate them socially by turning everyone else against them.

I gossip very little myself, I'm generally a lot more interested in what I'm doing to care about other people.

I don't know, I don't eavesdrop - you think it's true then?

Aren't you involved in any conversations yourself?

I also think gossip is a way of finding out if a fact about someone is true or not.

Technically if it's substantiated, then it's not really gossip... At least according to the earlier definition.