US State Department calls waterboarding "exceptionallly cruel torture"

Torture for the sake of it against anyone is absurd.

But if* the security forces think that water boarding works and using it could extract information that could be used to stop something like the Paris, Manchester, Tunisia etc etc etc attacks then would you support it?

*And I post this knowing that it's a very big if.

Because I'd swear black was white and my Mum was Osama Bin Laden if they were putting electric shocks on my testicles...which rather negates the whole "point" of torture, which is to get meaningful information.

I know that. That's not what I asked.

That's fine, at least you are honest and not mealy mouthed like some people. You have chosen to be just like them.

No problem . I haven't chosen anything . If I do decide to go out beheading , raping , torturing innocents , then maybe I could agree with you , but until then

No problem . I haven't chosen anything . If I do decide to go out beheading , raping , torturing innocents , then maybe I could agree with you , but until then

Torture sounds good to me

You chose torture, you're as bad as them.

You chose torture, you're as bad as them.

At this very moment ,I am cowering behind the settee , waiting for a knock on the door from the security forces . Do you think I will be waiting long?

I'm confused...do you want torture or due judicial process? Think carefully, because one answer means you are just as bad as them, and the other means you are not.

Quite simply , in America they will probably get a 100 year sentence or an injection meaning they will never see the light of day again, In Britian they will be unlucky if they get as much as 10 years because our justice system is a joke and soft.

Let the yanks deal with them.

I know that. That's not what I asked.

Well two if's don't make a right...we could pose "what if" questions all day long.

Well two if's don't make a right...we could pose "what if" questions all day long.

It's ok. I didn't think you were the type to able to answer tough questions anyhow.

Because I'd swear black was white and my Mum was Osama Bin Laden if they were putting electric shocks on my testicles...which rather negates the whole "point" of torture, which is to get meaningful information.

Asking them nicely won't work. Threatening to kill them won't work - they'll be martyrs then. Jailing them for infinity won't get vital intelligence that could stop a terrorist atrocity. So we either jail/excecute them and just hope we aren't in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But scale it back a bit. Couple of years ago there was that toddler in Wales kidnapped and killed by some sick *******. They caught him early and if memory serves there was chance she could have been alive. The police did as much as they legally could do but he sat with his lawyer and said "no comment" ad infinitum. Now, if there was chance she was alive would the use of water boarding or even the use of pliers and blowtorch be justified? Genuine question, if torture was, for a want of better word, regulated and had a high level of oversight should it be used?

It always is crueler when somebody else is doing it :hihi:

But it's never funnier Mel. hi hi indeed.

---------- Post added 10-02-2018 at 15:30 ----------

Now, if there was chance she was alive would the use of water boarding or even the use of pliers and blowtorch be justified? Genuine question, if torture was, for a want of better word, regulated and had a high level of oversight should it be used?

No it shouldn't. I've always been under the impression that torture is a totally unreliable way of gaining information, and what you might get can't be trusted one way or the other so it's worthless except in lucky hindsight.

I think people need to be honest with themselves and admit that they like the idea of torture as a form of vengeance, not information gathering. It's as effective at crime prevention as the death penalty, but there are plenty in favour of that too.

Edited by ENG601PM