£4bn Tesco equal pay claim madness

They would have to increase the pay of the store workers to that of the comparator working in the distribution centre, in addition to back pay for up to the last six years.

The beeb have reduced the salaries of some male presenters to bring them more in line with women doing an equal job...why would Tesco be any different?

The beeb have reduced the salaries of some male presenters to bring them more in line with women doing an equal job...why would Tesco be any different?

As far as I am aware, no equal pay claims have been brought against the BBC yet (or if they have, they have not been heard by the Employment Tribunal yet). Any recent reduction in pay will most likely have been due to public pressure rather than an order of the Tribunal.

Jobs in a Tesco supermarket or a distribution centre are all rubbish so they should all be paid the same.

Tesco store workers are hoping it will be Emily Thornberry:

“Looking after a four-year-old, why is that less valuable than being a banker or anything else, this is the way our society is structured.”

Question Time last night.

Being a chairman is as valuable as being a check out operator so pay them the same

Being a chairman is as valuable as being a check out operator so pay them the same

If that's what you believe, and not knowing you, I expect here's only one that you could do tomorrow, which makes your worth highly questionable.

If that's what you believe, and not knowing you, I expect here's only one that you could do tomorrow, which makes your worth highly questionable.

I worked for Derbyshire CC, I believe in equal pay but a few years ago about 3500 of us had to take a pay cut to fund it, I had a £1400 cut in pay along with many low paid workers, I had just reached the top of my pay scale which meant I couldn't,t climb any higher.

It's an example what the Labour woman on QT kept putting forward,my example shows how daft it was.

It's an example what the Labour woman on QT kept putting forward,my example shows how daft it was.

Fair comment then :) I hate that sort of reductionism because it can only go to one place, and that place is very bad indeed.

I'm interested in this idea of "equal value" but nobody has really explained how a warehouse worker and shop worker have equal value, unless its a reductionist position which goes to the very bad place. Just how is this "equal value" metric established?

Fair comment then :) I hate that sort of reductionism because it can only go to one place, and that place is very bad indeed.

I'm interested in this idea of "equal value" but nobody has really explained how a warehouse worker and shop worker have equal value, unless its a reductionist position which goes to the very bad place. Just how is this "equal value" metric established?

See my lengthy post on page two and the link to the EHRC website.