Sheffield gains most from overseas students.

And tell me please, how has Brexit frightened the Chinese? Which is where most of our international students live?
Have I said that it did? :huh:

On the contrary, the falling pound has made our courses and the cost of living here considerably cheaper and more attractive for ALL non-EU students and I'm sure will see even more of them coming.
The 20% devaluation of the Pound Sterling since the referendum has been great news for the wealthy non-EU families who send their sprogs to be educated in the UK, indeed...

...now, how much cheaper is that local cost of living for the natives? :twisted:;)

Have I said that it did? :huh:

The 20% devaluation of the Pound Sterling since the referendum has been great news for the wealthy non-EU families who send their sprogs to be educated in the UK, indeed...

...now, how much cheaper is that local cost of living for the natives? :twisted:;)

You said it had frightened 'them' off. 'Them' being international students. The largest contingent of whom are Chinese.

It's also been brilliant for exports which is key for South Yorkshire and should bring us more and better paid jobs.

I'm not too concerned with the fall of the pounds effect on cost of living. It was an illusion which meant we were paying less for things than they were worth. I have found shopping around and in season ameliorates a lot of it. I can live without salads in winter.

You said it had frightened 'them' off. 'Them' being international students. The largest contingent of whom are Chinese.
Ah, so you say that I somehow missed all that detail about the contingent of Chinese students in Sheffield in the OP's post?

It's also been brilliant for exports which is key for South Yorkshire and should bring us more and better paid jobs.
Export of manufactured goods is a drop in the ocean of the UK's services-led economy. Alright for the feelgood factor, I suppose. But it ain't going to keep the NHS going, by very far.

Just saying (-briefly, because I don't want this thread to veer too far off-topic).

I'm not too concerned with the fall of the pounds effect on cost of living. It was an illusion which meant we were paying less for things than they were worth. I have found shopping around and in season ameliorates a lot of it. I can live without salads in winter.
Well, I'm certainly glad to see from the above, that clearly you don't mind paying extra and going without, for the sake of your ideals.

Yep, seems about right,- ignorant stubborn fools blaming Europe for the decades of poverty inflicted by the British Government. Wonder what those areas are going to be like when funding and decision making rest only with the British Government.....

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 08:25 ----------

Oh yeah, because that's just the Chinese, its never ever British people ever at all:rolleyes:.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 08:30 ----------

I feel it is 51.9% of the population who voted for Brexit and who, for the most part, when really pushed on the reasoning, end up admitting its because they think there are too many people who look and sound foreign, or refuse to admit that pretty much everything they thought they knew about the Eu is a pack of lies.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 08:33 ----------

Given the general denial of actual facts and wanton ignorance shown by brexit voters, I sincerely believe that you don't believe those figures.

Arrr I see, we're not bright enough.... :hihi:

Like it or not, the campaign leading up to the referendum and the post-result period has led to a steep rise in hate crimes against foreigners - up well over 100% since 2015. It has brought out the nasty side of people, has turned large parts of the country into places which foreigners should stay well away from, and this is shameful. We saw this brain-dead idiocy in full bloom on that Question Time from Barnsley, which made us look like a nation of backward, foreigner-hating moronic hicks. Those who wanted Brexit are responsible for that - Brexiteers, the Brexit-supporting press and media, prominent Brexit cheerleaders and Brexit politicians. A Labour MP was murdered in cold blood because of this.

There is a rake of tenuous links in your post I feel.

Angel1.

Like it or not, the campaign leading up to the referendum and the post-result period has led to a steep rise in hate crimes against foreigners - up well over 100% since 2015.

According to home office statistics it has risen 29% since 2015 rising from 62,518 to 80,393, with the biggest rise in disability and transgender reports. There were also rises after the Westminster Bridge, Manchester Arena and London Bridge attacks this year. It also states that these rises could also be due to more people being aware and coming forward reporting them so its not that clear cut.

Like it or not, the campaign leading up to the referendum and the post-result period has led to a steep rise in hate crimes against foreigners - up well over 100% since 2015. It has brought out the nasty side of people, has turned large parts of the country into places which foreigners should stay well away from, and this is shameful. We saw this brain-dead idiocy in full bloom on that Question Time from Barnsley, which made us look like a nation of backward, foreigner-hating moronic hicks. Those who wanted Brexit are responsible for that - Brexiteers, the Brexit-supporting press and media, prominent Brexit cheerleaders and Brexit politicians. A Labour MP was murdered in cold blood because of this.

Jeeez what nonsense, you actually come across on here as ignorant as any brexiteer or racist that I have ever known, and please don't go calling my criticism of your posting 'hate crime' :D

Do we have to keep going over old ground all the time.Yes we all know all the working class including me are all as thick as a navvies slice and all the intellectual university types know best and cannot understand why the working class folk don't accept that they know whats best for everybody.Give it a rest for goodness sake,lets have some other topics.

According to home office statistics it has risen 29% since 2015 rising from 62,518 to 80,393, with the biggest rise in disability and transgender reports. There were also rises after the Westminster Bridge, Manchester Arena and London Bridge attacks this year. It also states that these rises could also be due to more people being aware and coming forward reporting them so its not that clear cut.

Everyone knows there's been a rise in hate crimes against foreigners, like a black American being told to go back to Africa on a Manchester tram, and a Swedish tourist being told to go back to Sweden. Now what will visitors who experience that tell their friends and families back home? "Something along the lines that they're a mad bunch of bigoted foreigner-haters who are as thick as mince over there, so don't go there". And there will be no disagreeing with that. The tourist industry will ultimately suffer, because nobody wants to be made unwelcome by a bunch of xenophobic sourpusses. Over these last few years, hate crimes against foreigners have indeed gone up by a staggering 114%, and that is down to the nauseating tripe put out by a bunch of brickheads masquerading as patriots.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 19:09 ----------

Jeeez what nonsense, you actually come across on here as ignorant as any brexiteer or racist that I have ever known, and please don't go calling my criticism of your posting 'hate crime' :D

I'm not calling it a hate crime, only a crime against intelligence.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 19:10 ----------

There is a rake of tenuous links in your post I feel.

Angel1.

There was nothing tenuous about the murder of Jo Cox, murdered in cold blood by a foreigner-hating fanatic.

Edited by pss60

Everyone knows there's been a rise in hate crimes against foreigners, like a black American being told to go back to Africa on a Manchester tram, and a Swedish tourist being told to go back to Sweden. Now what will visitors who experience tell their friends and families back home? "Something along the lines that they're a mad bunch of bigoted foreigner-haters who are as thick as mince over there, so don't go there". And there will be no disagreeing with that. The tourist industry will ultimately suffer, because nobody wants to be made unwelcome by a bunch of xenophobic sourpusses. Over these last few years, hate crimes against foreigners have indeed gone up by a staggering 114%, and that is down to the nauseating tripe put out by a bunch of brickheads masquerading as patriots.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 19:09 ----------

I'm not calling it a hate crime, only a crime against intelligence.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 19:10 ----------

There was nothing tenuous about the murder of Jo Cox, murdered in cold blood by a foreigner-hating fanatic.

Intelligence, your having a laugh, please ..... your hardly blessed yourself if your so prone to spouting hyperbolic modern day melodramatic nonsense, get out into the real world sunshine get some perspective and stop sucking up tripe from the bbc and the guardian.

Do we have to keep going over old ground all the time.Yes we all know all the working class including me are all as thick as a navvies slice and all the intellectual university types know best and cannot understand why the working class folk don't accept that they know whats best for everybody.Give it a rest for goodness sake,lets have some other topics.

No can do. The Brexit vote has demonstrated the massive risk of allowing ignorance and xenophobia to fester.

No can do. The Brexit vote has demonstrated the massive risk of allowing ignorance and xenophobia to fester.

If you must, but remember the majority had the say over the minority.Remainers should vent their anger at David Cameron for giving us horrible working class thicko's a vote.Perhaps you would prefer us to go back to the Elizabethan times when only noblemen got to vote.