Osborne, £1.5 Trillion, worse debt since world wars

This where the goal posts were.

i.e. This is you being rude to somebody for daring to question your emphatic assertion that the debt had doubled since Osbourne became chancellor.

Took me 5 minutes to find the documentary evidence to prove you wrong.

You want to convince me (and I suspect anybody else) of anything, then be specific and back it up with primary source quantitative fact.

You're only real criticism of Osbourne seems to amount to the idea that he's successfully fixing the problem more slowly than he'd hoped. Wow! Surely he should be in prison or something. How can his conscience bear it. He was over-optimistic. The monster!

There's one thing being over optimistic. When my legs are strong enough to carry me onto the pitch for a vets rugby match (which is getting less and less often these days) I'm always optimistic.

Its quite a different thing over-borrowing by £300bn and stifling 3 years of economic growth.

As a counter to what you no doubt consider to be my negative left wing views it's worth considering what Tory commentators have to say about Osborne.

http://order-order.com/2015/10/14/george-osbornes-budget-irresponsibility/

That first graph is bad enough, but oh my word the second one!!

And there's more:

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2013/11/the-tories-have-piled-on-more-debt-than-labour/

The sniping at other members and bickering is to stop. Any further will result in suspensions with all involved.

As the moderators have now checked this out and confirmed that there is nothing at all wrong with the link to a UK government document. And the UK government themselves have double-checked the documents and confirmed that it is absolutely free of all malware...

Here are the actual debt and deficit figures for the UK state

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05745/SN05745.pdf

If your anti-virus software flags it, then that's a fault with the software and not with the link. May I suggest (if you insist on using windows) microsoft security essentials. It's payment free, and ad free and I've never known it cause this kind of problem.

Just an update on this. The first link you provided was to a PDF that downloaded with size 95872 bytes. I still have a copy and it will not open and does some pretty unusual stuff. After you posted the link again the PDF is a different size (97395 bytes) and it does open with no problems.

I have both files and have done a side by side raw inspection and there are clear differences. Both seem to have, on the face of it, a valid PDF 1.5 structure.

I've contacted the help desk at Parliament.uk. What happened is quite unusual, unless they had some known issues on their site at the time.

Will keep you updated.

Just an update on this. The first link you provided was to a PDF that downloaded with size 95872 bytes. I still have a copy and it will not open and does some pretty unusual stuff. After you posted the link again the PDF is a different size (97395 bytes) and it does open with no problems.

I have both files and have done a side by side raw inspection and there are clear differences. Both seem to have, on the face of it, a valid PDF 1.5 structure.

I've contacted the help desk at Parliament.uk. What happened is quite unusual, unless they had some known issues on their site at the time.

Will keep you updated.

I posted the first link.

The link posted by unbeliever links to the same file which is a PDF file (95.1 kB)

There is a link in the file which send you here.

http://www.parliament.uk/site-information/copyright/open-parliament-licence/

Edited by betterman

I posted the first link.

The link posted by unbeliever links to the same file which is a PDF file (95.1 kB)

There is a link in the file which send you here.

http://www.parliament.uk/site-information/copyright/open-parliament-licence/

Very interesting unbeliever chose to make such a spirited defence of you.

Now, as I said I have both files and they are different sizes. Both have a valid PDF structure. Both are PDF 1.5 but have a different number of lines and against PDF validators they check out mildly differently. Both are actually lacking in terms of PDF/1A compliance, not unexpected because although government sites should support this for accessibility they often don't. The interesting thing is they don't fail on all the same things on the compliance check.

They are different files.

I've asked parliament.uk to explain it. Edit: The first document has creation date of 3 November. The second has creation date of 27 November. It looks like it might have been repaired in some way and then replaced on the parliament.uk site, some time on Friday. In which case I am vindicated.

I did not report this to the moderators for nothing. IT security is part of my job.

Edited by I1L2T3
more info

Very interesting unbeliever chose to make such a spirited defence of you.

Now, as I said I have both files and they are different sizes. Both have a valid PDF structure. Both are PDF 1.5 but have a different number of lines and against PDF validators they check out mildly differently. Both are actually lacking in terms of PDF/1A compliance, not unexpected because although government sites should support this for accessibility they often don't. The interesting thing is they don't fail on all the same things on the compliance check.

They are different files.

I've asked parliament.uk to explain it. Edit: The first document has creation date of 3 November. The second has creation date of 27 November. It looks like it might have been repaired in some way and then replaced on the parliament.uk site, some time on Friday. In which case I am vindicated.

I did not report this to the moderators for nothing. IT security is part of my job.

I didn't know it had been reported, I didn't know that anyone had a problem opening it. I don't know why unbeliever passed on information form the mods.

What I know.

A claim was made that Osborn had doubled the debt and I knew that this was incorect.

I expressed this in a post after looking at this site.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_national_debt_chart.html

You claimed the figures were incorect so I looked for a better source, at which point I posted more accurate figures along with the source of those figures.

You asked for a link, so I posted a link, I have no idea why you are having a problem with the link because it looks fine on my computer and it apears to be a genuine government document.

If the mods did indead check it, it might have been better if they had confirmed that it was genuine rather than leaving it to unbeliever.