Holiday pay ruling to impact millions of workers

Threads merged. Please use the search facility before starting new threads

"A closely-watched ruling will, later on Tuesday, determine whether millions of workers are entitled to claim for overtime to be included in holiday pay."

As a worker it sounds good, it'll never happen because of this:

"The government wants to get the right balance between the needs of employers and employees," said a spokesperson for the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills"

It has happened, my contact has been 30 and 37 hours, so working extra does not always get any extra overtime payment.

It has happened, my contact has been 30 and 37 hours, so working extra does not always get any extra overtime payment.

Your holiday pay should now reflect your typical pay packet.

If you have received any holiday pay in the last 3 months, you have the right to expect it to have reflected the typical pay during the period that leave was accumulated (pending appeal).

This right only extends to the legal holiday entitlement in EU Regulations which I think is 4 weeks.

Your holiday pay should now reflect your typical pay packet.

If you have received any holiday pay in the last 3 months, you have the right to expect it to have reflected the typical pay during the period that leave was accumulated (pending appeal).

This right only extends to the legal holiday entitlement in EU Regulations which I think is 4 weeks.

Pending appeal... It could be years before a definitive judgement is made.

Pending appeal... It could be years before a definitive judgement is made.

I dont think there was any appeal. According to my bosses, the new system of working out holiday pay is being introduced, but when!!

I am hoping the extra holiday pay will be paid from the date of the last court case.

I also would like to know about my pension pay. I work a 30 hour contract, but do 6-8 hours extra every week, without fail.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/holiday-pay-who-is-affected--and-how-much-could-you-be-paid-9838628.html

Employers who claim this could ruin their business must have businesses that are teetering on the edge anyway if this is all that's needed to ruin it.

My old employer used to do this, average ot earned was paid on top of holiday pay.

I had the arguement with my staff as well about the 'getting paid ot whilst on holiday, but no ot for those at work'

Basically if you did ot regularly then you would have probably done it if you weren't on hols, now that you are on holiday the regular ot will probably be going to someone else.

If ot was so infrequent then the amount you got as a holiday average would be quite small and the likelihood of ot being available -for those at work- whilst you were on holiday also slim.

If you didn't do ot then why are you complaining about not having the opportunity to do some on the occasions it wouldn't be available?

Some workers actually tried to argue 'fairness' using this point!

It needs to be considered like this. If you do work ot then part of that ot payment will be given when you take your hols.

The only real negative for employers is that you effectively pay an even higher rate of ot for those occasions when you have staff on hol getting average ot pay whilst paying another member of staff ot for the shift.

If that's the case and it happens enough to be of a concern to the validity of your business then you really should have considered correcting your staffing levels some time previously.

Edited by psynuk

I have been attempting to get my employer(a very large local authority) to pay me my correct holiday pay, on these new rules.

After weeks/months of trying, I received an email from the wages department with this "we are not aware of any changes to the method of working out holiday pay2.

They sent the email to another department, not sure which department it was sent to, I was bcc.

I suppose the thing to aim for would be enough take home pay to live on for 40 hours per week.