Sheffield Supertram - The Voices

OK, so these are the voices we currently have:

BLUE ROUTE

A softly spoken man with a slight Irish twang to his voice. My personal favourite due to it's soothing nature. However, I do get annoyed by the way he says "recrest" instead of "request".

YELLOW ROUTE

A thoroughly pleasant woman with a rather bright, chirpy voice. Marvellous to hear when en route to Meadowhall, or if I am visiting my friend Jared.

PURPLE ROUTE

A truly northern man! Marvellous! He has a stronger accent than Geoffrey Boycott. I often hop aboard the purple route tram just for one stop. For instance, I have travelled from Cathedral to Fitzallan Square / Ponds Forge just to enjoy the voice.

Does anyone else have opinions of the Supertram voices?

YES! So glad someone else is as into this as I am! I am pretty much resticted to the Blue Route but love those odd occasions I get to use a different tram just for the voices. Who are these people? Why are they different people on each route?

No one can tell me I need to get out more - I clearly do! On the tram!

Yes indeed Mattenmurg. I'm a blue route person, but I can get a yellow one to work, so that's nice. Purple trips are a bit of a rarity, but I can sometimes get the purple tram to Gleadless Town End and then change tram colours there. It makes the day go by I suppose. I really enjoy my tram journeys, and the voices really brighten up a dull day for me. I wonder if they will ever change them? I suggest fans record the voices so they can be heard in the future.

What do other commuters reckon to this?

Well?

The Purple route is a chap I used to work with called Paul Timmins, he used to be a conductor, and has now moved to the coast.

Thanks for the info! How did he get the job of announcer? Could you send him my regards, because purple is my favourite.

There is another thread on here which gives back ground info on to why the voices were chosen

what voices? last time I got on a tram about 4 years ago the driver made his own announcements......

Thanks Bus Man. Do you know how I'd find the other thread?

Goldenfleece, yes, the days of manual announcements are long gone! There are some splendid pre-recorded voices. Defo worth riding the trams to hear.

I recorded BLUE on my mobile phone at the weekend. 2 to go!

Must be pretty amazing living anywhere near a Supertram route.

:rolleyes:

Must be pretty amazing living anywhere near a Supertram route.

:rolleyes:

It certainly is! I've lived in Hillsborough before - so I got to enjoy both yellow and blue. Reight good!

As the blue man says:

"The next stop by recrest [sic] will be Cathedral. Passengers travelling to Meadowhall should change here and cross to the opposite platform. This is the blue route service, bound for Malin Bridge, via Hillsborough."

the chap with the lovely soft "Irish" accent is actually from the west country I believe...

I like the three distinct voices, as it gives character and interest to the tram journey.