Sheffield Forum

Any Heavy rock fans on here ?

Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic

02-11-2016, 17:42   #121
wearysmith

Total Posts: 4
Got caught in a tragic double-booked situation last Friday. A buddy & I had got tix for the Off The Shelf Closing Party Poetry-Slam at Theatre Delicatessen. However, that same evening the Tygers Of Pan Tang were playing some club in Barnsley.

Obviously I couldn't make it but another buddy did. He knew nothing of them or their material but said they were really good. However, only problem is, it was not really the TOPT. There was only one original member. Does that make them an original act or a tribute band? Waited 36 years to get my picture- cover 'Hellbound' single signed. In the end there was only one that could autograph it.

In addition, my mate said he also got talking to the son of a member of Saxon in the crowd, but as he doesn't know much about Saxon either, he couldn't tell me who!
13-09-2017, 12:52   #122
Mooks

Total Posts: 659
Jeez totally forgot bout this thread l started thanks for keeping it going....Got the new Evergrey album The Storm Within...as its my fave band totally amazed how this band seem to get better each album.
Would luv em to come to Sheffield again as l missed them last time..
The two cds by Vanden plas Chronicles of the Immortals 1 and 2 are just awesome if like me ye into heavy prog..
13-09-2017, 16:29   #123
Hallows

Total Posts: 13
To tell this truth, knowing - and living through - Sheffield's rock history, I'd have thought this thread would be on fire daily.

I've seen a few of the newer Sheffield rock acts this past year. The best of which I think was Fear Lies. Big shout-out for Treebeard though. While not really rock, they have their freak-out moments (as anyone who saw their version of 'House Of The Rising Sun' at Endcliffe Park/Tramlines this July would testify).
13-09-2017, 17:07   #124
Jason crock

Total Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearysmith View Post
Got caught in a tragic double-booked situation last Friday. A buddy & I had got tix for the Off The Shelf Closing Party Poetry-Slam at Theatre Delicatessen. However, that same evening the Tygers Of Pan Tang were playing some club in Barnsley.

Obviously I couldn't make it but another buddy did. He knew nothing of them or their material but said they were really good. However, only problem is, it was not really the TOPT. There was only one original member. Does that make them an original act or a tribute band? Waited 36 years to get my picture- cover 'Hellbound' single signed. In the end there was only one that could autograph it.

In addition, my mate said he also got talking to the son of a member of Saxon in the crowd, but as he doesn't know much about Saxon either, he couldn't tell me who!
I'm sorry but the last bit made my chuckle internally. Sounds like your son hangs with major celebrity's.

---------- Post added 13-09-2017 at 17:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
Jeez totally forgot bout this thread l started thanks for keeping it going....Got the new Evergrey album The Storm Within...as its my fave band totally amazed how this band seem to get better each album.
Would luv em to come to Sheffield again as l missed them last time..
The two cds by Vanden plas Chronicles of the Immortals 1 and 2 are just awesome if like me ye into heavy prog..
You look like harry Halford from priest.
14-09-2017, 08:46   #125
Hallows

Total Posts: 13
Re: I'm sorry but the last bit made my chuckle internally. Sounds like your son hangs with major celebrity's.

I think you slightly misunderstood. My BUDDY was talking to the SON of a Saxon member. My own lad wouldn't know a member of Saxon if they passed in the street. He would, however, but able to identify any of Pitchshifter, Clutch, Lost Prophets, Blink182, The Offspring...etc etc at some distance. I wouldnae have a clue! It's a generation thang!
14-09-2017, 09:20   #126
Lockjaw

Total Posts: 3,530
Anyone going to see Uli Roth at the O2?
_______
He'll get ya. He'll get ya!

www.jacksrake.co.uk...Facebook
14-09-2017, 17:29   #127
leviathan13

Total Posts: 4,633
Send a message via MSN to leviathan13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallows View Post
Re: I'm sorry but the last bit made my chuckle internally. Sounds like your son hangs with major celebrity's.

I think you slightly misunderstood. My BUDDY was talking to the SON of a Saxon member. My own lad wouldn't know a member of Saxon if they passed in the street. He would, however, but able to identify any of Pitchshifter, Clutch, Lost Prophets, Blink182, The Offspring...etc etc at some distance. I wouldnae have a clue! It's a generation thang!
Clutch are definitely a band worth checking out. I listened to the Psychic Warfare album for about 2 weeks straight... morning and night.
_______
I was quickly overtaken... by the angry spirits of Ronald and Nancy Reagan...

Psychic warfare is real!
14-09-2017, 17:45   #128
Jason crock

Total Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallows View Post

I'm so sorry. But your buddy moist be silly. People brag about meeting big celebrity's and stuff but meeting the son of a saxon member hardly merits bum juice.

---------- Post added 14-09-2017 at 17:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
Probably not as I haven't got things organisation yet. Is he still balding.
14-09-2017, 23:21   #129
leviathan13

Total Posts: 4,633
Send a message via MSN to leviathan13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason crock View Post
I'm so sorry. But your buddy moist be silly. People brag about meeting big celebrity's and stuff but meeting the son of a saxon member hardly merits bum juice.

---------- Post added 14-09-2017 at 17:47 ----------

Probably not as I haven't got things organisation yet. Is he still balding.
No... you're getting mixed up with Claire Balding...
_______
I was quickly overtaken... by the angry spirits of Ronald and Nancy Reagan...

Psychic warfare is real!
15-09-2017, 01:37   #130
Ghostrider

Total Posts: 8,887
I had a beer with Bri Shaughnessy a few months back, while I was in the Yorkshireman.
22-10-2017, 21:46   #131
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 54,566
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
R.I.P Celtic Frosts Martin Eric Ain
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/for...ain-dead-at-50
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
23-10-2017, 20:04   #132
metalman

Total Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
Might even be tempted - the last time I saw him was in 1985!
24-10-2017, 23:02   #133
MidgetSaw
Account Closed

Total Posts: 81
Went to see Bruce Dickinson on Sunday in Manchester. He's doing a tour to promote his autobiography.

He was funny, charismatic, engaging, charming, witty, enthusiastic...

Soooooooo annoying just how talented the geezer is!!! The ticket also included a signed copy of the book and a bottle of Trooper beer to enjoy whilst watching him.

A thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours.
25-10-2017, 09:37   #134
AmberLeaf

Total Posts: 975
Do Evanescence count as heavy rock, as I really like them.
28-10-2017, 16:25   #135
Axel

Total Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLeaf View Post
Do Evanescence count as heavy rock, as I really like them.
Kind of, I suppose they're akin to Goth Metal or something like that. Is Amy Lee still fronting the band ?
28-10-2017, 16:58   #136
Badgers6

Total Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgetSaw View Post
Went to see Bruce Dickinson on Sunday in Manchester. He's doing a tour to promote his autobiography.

He was funny, charismatic, engaging, charming, witty, enthusiastic...

Soooooooo annoying just how talented the geezer is!!! The ticket also included a signed copy of the book and a bottle of Trooper beer to enjoy whilst watching him.

A thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours.
Iím annoyed it was on the same night as Metallica in London so had to miss it. Just finished his audiobook and it was phenomenal, he is a great story teller and has had a truly fascinating life.
01-11-2017, 13:22   #137
MidgetSaw
Account Closed

Total Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers6 View Post
Iím annoyed it was on the same night as Metallica in London so had to miss it. Just finished his audiobook and it was phenomenal, he is a great story teller and has had a truly fascinating life.
The couple of bottles of Trooper went down well whilst watching him (I had my mate's as he doesn't drink. Bonus!!!)

It was great that he talked a bit about Worksop. I'm aware that many famous people like to ignore their humble beginnings, but Bruce embraced it.

Top geezer and definitely someone I would love to go for a pint with.

---------- Post added 01-11-2017 at 12:25 ----------

For those who are interested, thrash titans TESTAMENT have announced a UK tour!

Following the release of Brotherhood of the Snake last year, this is the tour I've been waiting for. I saw them supporting Amon Amarth, but they only had an hour of stage time, so a headline tour is a pant-wettingly good thing!!!
01-11-2017, 13:40   #138
Mooks

Total Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason crock View Post
I'm sorry but the last bit made my chuckle internally. Sounds like your son hangs with major celebrity's.

---------- Post added 13-09-2017 at 17:08 ----------

You look like harry Halford from priest.
Well when l dye my goatee black and put on round glasses l am a spit of him but with no brummie accent ..
01-11-2017, 20:46   #139
AmberLeaf

Total Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Kind of, I suppose they're akin to Goth Metal or something like that. Is Amy Lee still fronting the band ?
Yes, and there new album Synthesis is out soon
_______
I used to be indecisive, but know i'm not sure............
03-11-2017, 16:26   #140
Alan Hartley

Total Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLeaf View Post
Yes, and there new album Synthesis is out soon
That band would be nothing if it wasn't fronted by her.
_______
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders.
Reply To Topic