Sheffield Forum

Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

29-06-2004, 11:34   #21
Timbuck

Total Posts: 579
The Meanest Club doorman was at Heely Club..nobody got past him who wasn't a Member, he would turn away his own relatives who lived more than 40 miles away...and I heard a rumour that the club caught fire one night and the Fire Brigade had to get a member to sign them in.
_______
Any idiot can design a complex device; it's the man who designs a simple device to do the same job who's the real genius.
29-06-2004, 13:11   #22
Banksia

Total Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally posted by Timbuck
The Meanest Club doorman was at Heely Club..nobody got past him who wasn't a Member, he would turn away his own relatives who lived more than 40 miles away...and I heard a rumour that the club caught fire one night and the Fire Brigade had to get a member to sign them in.
Your're joking of course Timbuck ? Wasn't he also the one who annouced the band by saying
" And now, for tonights entertainment we have The Don Moore Trio and his group" ?
29-06-2004, 13:32   #23
pitsmoorlad

Total Posts: 1,914
I remember going on the Loco WMC Club trips to Mablethorpe, and the Pitsmoor Club trips to Cleethorpes. The great thing was the Pitsmoor Club trips were on the train from Victoria Station.
The Discos ( 4 Mimes) were at the Loco every Christmas cos they lived that end of town. Also remember Liz Andrews and roundabout, Ronnie Dukes & Ricki Lee,and Robert King's All Stars. Anybody remember the Mynah Bird that they had at the Loco Club. It used to regularly stop the Bingo by shouting "House". If it was the last game, everybody would throw their tickets on the floor then scramble to find them again when the Comittee man announced it was the bird that had shouted.
29-06-2004, 13:48   #24
mikey
Tottyrator

Total Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to mikey Send a message via Yahoo to mikey
By the wonders of modern technology our clubs is now online or a version of it.

http://www.sheffield.clubbers.net/
29-06-2004, 19:25   #25
Trekker

Total Posts: 581
Send a message via AIM to Trekker Send a message via Yahoo to Trekker
I remember going t the old club around 57. a bag of crisp and a bottle of pop and I was happy for the rest of t night.
_______
My Creator.. what I'd Give 4 a Starship So I could warp away from this world humanitys screwing up!
29-06-2004, 19:52   #26
owdlad

Total Posts: 4,421
aye me grandad used to try bring them for me granny and she was 62...lol

Last edited by owdlad; 30-06-2004 at 07:36.
30-06-2004, 01:35   #27
sweetdexter

Total Posts: 864
Can anyone tell me how the' La Plata' [is that correct spelling?] got its name
30-06-2004, 21:05   #28
buck

Total Posts: 6,094
There were some bloody good old days in the late fifties and early sixties, Dancing at the City hall and the Mecca, and getting chucked out for jiving. Bike racing clubs like the Pheonix and others that did everything together including getting drunk. A pint or two at the mucky duck after a movie at the Hippodrome. Going to the Attercliffe Palace for some raunchy comedians. That's when a gourmet meal was Steak, egg, and chips, and no decent Sheffie would eat pizza cos it was "foreign". ( I love pizza.)
01-07-2004, 11:47   #29
pitsmoorlad

Re the La Plata club. Back in the mists of time there was a "La Plata" steelworks at Malin Bridge, so the club must have been there for the benefit of the steelworkers and took it's name from the works. Like the Loco club was for the locomotive workers who worked down the road.
01-07-2004, 18:06   #30
sweetdexter

Total Posts: 864
Thanks for the info; Pitsmoorlad.
My dad was a member there in the early 50s.Even though we lived on the Parson Cross estate he and the next door neighbour would be at the club every Sunday afternoon.Not happy memories
06-07-2004, 14:16   #31
coddy

Total Posts: 77
This message for POPT. I wonder if this is the same Johnny Rivers who lives in Bewdley. Used to sing at our local when it was a proper local. Changed hands now so no such thing as live music for the last 12 months or so. Johnny would be in his 50's, used to live up the road from me but hes moved now. Cant remember his proper surname but hes an irish guy.
12-07-2004, 21:17   #32
Alanbro

Total Posts: 135
I used to go to St Philips Club.
I remember seeing Harry Bendon, one of his specialities was farting into the microphone after he'd put it down his trousers.
He would also take someone's pint off table and drink it before spitting it back into t'glass. He did some singing as well. (One to take your granny to!)
I also saw Tony Whyte a few times there and he was a scream.
Also St Philips was the first place I saw Bobby Knutt live when he was on the stand-up comedian circuit.
I'll think of some more turns and get back to you.
_______
The long and winding road is less boring than straight down the middle!
13-07-2004, 08:53   #33
tosh13

Total Posts: 4,374
Hi my Mother worked as a barmaid in the 60s at the Upper Heeley WMC & She also worked at The Queens Road Social Club in the 70s,where I met some of the then present Sheffield United Team ,Trevor Hockey etc;My dad used to live on the Manor & he used to go to the Park & Arbourthorne & The Arundel,my wifes Uncle Joe Lingard was I think the President at the Arundel in the 70s,me & my Brother Barrie were Stewards on a trip for the Park & Arbourthorne 1977 what a day kids spewing everywhere & that was just me & my brother,no really it was a laugh.
13-07-2004, 15:30   #34
pitsmoorlad

Comedians at the clubs. Knutty, Ron Delta, Pat McCluskey, Barton Brothers, Tony Whyte, Marti Caine, Stan Richards, a weird bloke called John Paul Jones, I'm sure there's more that others can suggest.
Strippers were always called Miss X.
13-07-2004, 15:45   #35
Wavey

Total Posts: 343
Hey Tosh13.. I reckon that would have been around the time we went on the Park & Arbouthorne WMC trips.. we'd have been around 12-13ish. It was either Blackpool or Skeg. We might have been some of the spewy kids because my mate had managed to buy a couple of bottles of cider which we glugged on the beach along with the compulsary greasy fish and chips.. I'm positive it was Skeggy.
13-07-2004, 18:40   #36
tosh13

Total Posts: 4,374
Quote:
Originally posted by Wavey
Hey Tosh13.. I reckon that would have been around the time we went on the Park & Arbouthorne WMC trips.. we'd have been around 12-13ish. It was either Blackpool or Skeg. We might have been some of the spewy kids because my mate had managed to buy a couple of bottles of cider which we glugged on the beach along with the compulsary greasy fish and chips.. I'm positive it was Skeggy.
Yes mate I remember some kids were sick due to drinking cider,I hope you've been a good lad since lol
16-07-2004, 21:31   #37
Cycleracer

Total Posts: 4,452
The land lord at the loco club was John Broadley.
I remember the minah bird and the old geezer on the door with the cap.
the open plan stairs up to the concert room.
The trips to mablethorpe already mentioned by Col as i was always sick on the return journy because of the bottle of orange on the coach.
20-09-2004, 17:29   #38
awoollen

Total Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally posted by superCol
Amazing. There were some good acts on the club circuit, then! Most of the ones that I saw where dismal. Most of the crowd were waiting for the bingo (as far as I remember). I didn't play that, rather spend my money on beer.

My mother used to like some bloke that sang a bit like Perry Como, can't remember his name. Used to turn up at the Loco Club (Woodside) about 2 or 3 times a year.

Anybody else remember the Loco Club? Or howabout that one at the bottom of Fife Street in Wincobank? What was it called? (No, not the conservative club).

Wasn't it amazing, the number of places you could get in to with a club card. Shame the birds didn't see it the same way.
wincobank a blackburn
21-09-2004, 17:57   #39
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 43,471
Quote:
Originally posted by pitsmoorlad
Comedians at the clubs. Knutty, Ron Delta, Pat McCluskey, Barton Brothers, Tony Whyte, Marti Caine, Stan Richards, a weird bloke called John Paul Jones, I'm sure there's more that others can suggest.
Strippers were always called Miss X.
Oh, god! dont remind me about the "miss x" 's at the clubs.

Way, way back, when I was a kid, of about eight, my dad had suggested a rare treat of a family trip to the WMC, and seeing a "turn", one Sunday lunchtime.

So we brought out the "bible",:- the "Our Clubs" booklet, (published every week with the comprehensive lists of every local club, and what "turn" would be on, and when.)

I was reading through it, and pointed to one club's listing.

"Hey, Daddy!" I said. "The *insert name of club here* has Miss X on, shall we go and see her?"

Well....... you could have heard the eruption in moscow!

daddy went ballistic. no scratch that! Daddy went *Intercontinentally* ballistic.

don't understand why...

PT
22-09-2004, 16:12   #40
whisper

Total Posts: 787
me and my friend used to follow a male group called Smart Ass around all the clubs.we loved em.That was the 80's.there were some good groups around then.We saw Billy pearce a couple of times too.
Reply To Topic