Russian influence in Brexit vote

What's happening with the UK investigation in to the extent and impact of Russian meddling (social media bots and trolls etc) in the Brexit referendum?

I'm just curious, as there is a lot made of Russian meddling in the US presidential vote, but we don't seem to hear much about their involvement in the Brexit vote, why is that?

Plenty of news on the subject here

addmittedly theres nothing after about may, my understanding the vast majority of the media were vying for brexit so its not been of interest.

When we last had to tell the Jehova gang we were not interested, now I come to remember they had dodgy Rusky accents. l now believe these to be Russian agents sent to change our vote on the corrupt EU. lt didn't work though, did it.

A daft answer to a dodgy post IMHO.

Angel1.

What's happening with the UK investigation in to the extent and impact of Russian meddling (social media bots and trolls etc) in the Brexit referendum?

I'm just curious, as there is a lot made of Russian meddling in the US presidential vote, but we don't seem to hear much about their involvement in the Brexit vote, why is that?

I think its because any so called Russian meddling was unlikely to have made much impact in the referendum vote.

Concerns about Russia’s use of social media to meddle in elections have become so commonplace that the Spanish government recently accused Russians of playing a significant role in the push for Catalan independence. :hihi:

Those pesky Russians are into everything, Kaspersky Labs is a cover for internet spying on the west, according to multi conspiracy theorists LOL. I bet Russian hackers are watching every move of my typing finger as I write this.

Edited by Ontarian1981

People may try to influence events (like President Obama openly did with Brexit), but how do you prove that attempting to influence something actually did influence it?

It's impossible to prove.

The Russians "influencing Brexit" seems particularly ridiculous to me. Older people on the Brexit Riviera of the east coast generally use Facebook for posting pictures of their grandchildren or contacting old friends; the idea that they were avidly hoovering up Russian propaganda? I don't think so.

People may try to influence events (like President Obama openly did with Brexit), but how do you prove that attempting to influence something actually did influence it?

It's impossible to prove.

The Russians "influencing Brexit" seems particularly ridiculous to me. Older people on the Brexit Riviera of the east coast generally use Facebook for posting pictures of their grandchildren or contacting old friends; the idea that they were avidly hoovering up Russian propaganda? I don't think so.

you cant "prove" it influenced it, but the likes of google and facebook have identified 1000s / millions? of bots and obviously they know what type of stuff they were spewing out?

you cant "prove" it influenced it, but the likes of google and facebook have identified 1000s / millions? of bots and obviously they know what type of stuff they were spewing out?

I think the majority of people who voted leave had already made their minds up. We dont need Russian propaganda all the time we have the likes of Russell Brand telling the young not to vote and he has/had a stong young following. Maybe he was responsible for the low young turnout on referendum day.

Just a quick question.

Are you influenced by adverts?

I think the majority of people who voted leave had already made their minds up. We dont need Russian propaganda all the time we have the likes of Russell Brand telling the young not to vote and he has/had a stong young following. Maybe he was responsible for the low young turnout on referendum day.

Just a quick question.

Are you influenced by adverts?

not really no, but i think this type is different?, they "pretend" to be actual people telling people this is good, this is bad, these did this, these did that....they arent adverts.

for want of a better term i think they were fake news leading people to share them and grow it.

Just like these memes that people share, a lot of them are untrue, but people believe them

not really no, but i think this type is different?, they "pretend" to be actual people telling people this is good, this is bad, these did this, these did that....they arent adverts.

But they were targeting people just like adverts do thats the point, and in doing so I dont think they broke any laws either. As stated R Brand probably did more damage than these so call Russian bots as he has a large young following who sadly do listen and take notice of what he says.

It's easier to believe in foreign bogeyman than capitalist exploiters such as Obama who threatened the people with being back of the que (line) rather than vote with their conscience.