Is it time to split the country?

I'm not just thinking letting Scotland or Northern Ireland go - that's small beer. The country is split over brexit. Not, geographically, mores the pity, as that would have helped. The country is split in other ways, economically, culturally - the south doesn't understand the north at all.

Is it time to shake hands and go our separate ways? I'm not sure where the border would go by the way, I'm open to suggestions. Other countries have split, why not the UK?

If the north is going the way of xenophobia I guess you can expect a large proportion of Sheffield A (as it was called in that recent article) to sell up and head south. I certainly would to stay in the EU if I could do so and also stay in something resembling part of the now UK.

The only problem with letting all the white British people have one part of the South of the UK would be, who would staff the NHS and do the non-standard jobs?

If the north is going the way of xenophobia I guess you can expect a large proportion of Sheffield A (as it was called in that recent article) to sell up and head south. I certainly would to stay in the EU if I could do so and also stay in something resembling part of the now UK.

True, places like Kent would be a problem. Whilst they'd be happy to send all the foreigners home and shun the EU I'm not sure they'd want to go further north than maybe Clacton.

London would be a city state. Like Monaco but with gang violence.

Guest makapaka
I'm not just thinking letting Scotland or Northern Ireland go - that's small beer. The country is split over brexit. Not, geographically, mores the pity, as that would have helped. The country is split in other ways, economically, culturally - the south doesn't understand the north at all.

Is it time to shake hands and go our separate ways? I'm not sure where the border would go by the way, I'm open to suggestions. Other countries have split, why not the UK?

Let Northern Ireland go?

I can think of quite a few reasons why that wouldn’t go down too well....not small beer either.

As for the rest - ridiculous suggestion that wouldn’t work socially, economically, safely or logistically etc

The only problem with letting all the white British people have one part of the South of the UK would be, who would staff the NHS and do the non-standard jobs?

Who said about white people doing anything? This, bizarrely, transcends colour.

---------- Post added 23-09-2018 at 20:29 ----------

Let Northern Ireland go?

I can think of quite a few reasons why that wouldn’t go down too well....not small beer either.

As for the rest - ridiculous suggestion that wouldn’t work socially, economically, safely or logistically etc

Northern Ireland might start to be on its way by march yet.

The rest - you're thinking too small. There's a reasonable chance of violence on the streets before brexit is sorted and it might not stop once a deal is done (or not). Brexit is likely to cause us all sorts of problems, like the ones you've mentioned, wouldn't it be better to split of that part of the country off and let them crack on?

Guest makapaka
Who said about white people doing anything? This, bizarrely, transcends colour.

---------- Post added 23-09-2018 at 20:29 ----------

Northern Ireland might start to be on its way by march yet.

The rest - you're thinking too small. There's a reasonable chance of violence on the streets before brexit is sorted and it might not stop once a deal is done (or not). Brexit is likely to cause us all sorts of problems, like the ones you've mentioned, wouldn't it be better to split of that part of the country off and let them crack on?

No - I’m thinking sensibly.

On the basis that we are leaving a large union as a small nation of islands - breaking that down even smaller and into opposing factions would be just about the craziest thing someone could propose as a potential solution.

On the basis that we are leaving a large union as a small nation of islands - breaking that down even smaller and into opposing factions would be just about the craziest thing someone could propose as a potential solution.

The Scottish voted strongly to stay in the EU, if we leave I'm expecting the UK to fall apart anyway.

Scotland could go if we get a hard brexit, lord knows what's going to happen with northern Ireland regardless of the brexit. No brexit could see mass protests in the UK. Do we give a little chunk of England to the little englanders?

We could maybe go back to all the good old names like Celts, Picts and Gaels etc. , that would be fun. It would be like living in a video game whereby when things aren't going your way, you just turn the bugger off.

Scotland could go if we get a hard brexit, lord knows what's going to happen with northern Ireland regardless of the brexit. No brexit could see mass protests in the UK. Do we give a little chunk of England to the little englanders?

I fully expect the Nudden Oirish and the Oirish Oirish to start protesting, leading to rioting, leading to stabbing, leading to shooting, leading to blowing each other up.

It won’t be pretty, but it’s the democratic will of the democratic people of the democratic UK apparently and anything less would be a dictatorship

indeed

freedom for yorkshire!