A voter adrift - where do I place that X on the ballot paper?

British politics seems to have entered an strange phase perhaps not that surprising given recent events.

I duly turn up at the voting station when the time to vote comes round it's no easy task deciding were I'm going to place that cross on the ballot paper with so many issue's flying around the voter is in a political mind field.

I'm an centre left kind of person believing in moderation leads to fairness so I should be supporting the Lib Dems gang right well no I don't accept their policies on Europe and find Cable a bit of a dreamer.

Up next we have Corbyn' s Labour a man the press love to report his every move over the last thirty years no matter how small an detail it is. Some of his policies seem good but would need a pretty big money tree I don't think gardens centers sell them.

That leaves May and her gang calling themselfs the Conservative Party their leader recently showed in Africa she' s into break dancing if a bit on the wooden side for my taste, nightclub dancers the world over have been having been doing the ' Maybot'. Apart from Tory's leaders dance moves their policies don't appeal.

Perhaps the smaller parties will rock my boat -nope a bit too extreme for me.

Looks like I'm going to be a ' floating voter' after all and voting will become an ever increasing challenge.

Could be that Floating Voters rule.....in some places you could put a monkey up for election and it would win....

Would you vote for a local candidate who you liked, even though you dont agree with his party line, or will you be persuaded by what the party leaders tell you?

Could be a good thread, this.

British politics seems to have entered an strange phase perhaps not that surprising given recent events.

I duly turn up at the voting station when the time to vote comes round it's no easy task deciding were I'm going to place that cross on the ballot paper with so many issue's flying around the voter is in a political mind field.

I'm an centre left kind of person believing in moderation leads to fairness so I should be supporting the Lib Dems gang right well no I don't accept their policies on Europe and find Cable a bit of a dreamer.

Up next we have Corbyn' s Labour a man the press love to report his every move over the last thirty years no matter how small an detail it is. Some of his policies seem good but would need a pretty big money tree I don't think gardens centers sell them.

That leaves May and her gang calling themselfs the Conservative Party their leader recently showed in Africa she' s into break dancing if a bit on the wooden side for my taste, nightclub dancers the world over have been having been doing the ' Maybot'. Apart from Tory's leaders dance moves their policies don't appeal.

Looks like I'm going to be a ' floating voter' after all and voting will become an ever increasing challenge.

I think coalition governments are going to be the norm rather than the exception. Smaller regional parties like the DNP and smaller national parties like the Lib Dems will continue be the King makers. There may be room for a new party who can hold the balance of power because they get public support on one issue. However, the problem with new parties is it's hard to turn votes into seats in the Westminster parliament which was proved by UKIP.

Vote for whoever came second last time. Make your constituency a marginal seat. Marginal seats gets attention and hopefully more money.

What policies on Europe don't you like, I am guessing there is only one.

You say that you are center left, what do you believe in?

Green? safeguard the planet for the kids?

he believes in changing his name now and again :roll:

Vote for whoever came second last time. Make your constituency a marginal seat. Marginal seats gets attention and hopefully more money.

In short the AV system. Problem is no one vote for it given the chance.

---------- Post added 20-09-2018 at 12:17 ----------

I believe in an fairer society, my views were shaped in my younger days when I lived in London attending various political rallies or meetings around that city seeing the melting pot of culturals. My wife who I met their is more of an political animal than me is centre left in her views all this has rubbed off on to me.

Despite what might be seen has anti European views by some I do have an very outward look on the world I believe in fair trade not protectionism the EU needs too back to been a trade market and could stop people like Trump in their tracks.

Like I have said before the door is open for a new party the other parties have run out of ideas and seem to be going back into themselfs.

Edited by 80peter

I never mentioned AV, I'm on about making political parties work for their votes. The Tories won NE Derbyshire for the first time in about 80 years, it's been solid Labour prior to that. Labour will be working hard to get it back, the Tories will be working hard to keep it. I suspect the Tory MP will have the ear of some big hitters at Tory high command come election time.

I believe in an fairer society,

I believe in fair trade not protectionism.

Your views are the same as everyone elses, we all want fairness, you need to think deeper about what you believe in.

I earn around £15k so I pay very little in tax, I don't see fairness as wanting to tax the rich at above 50%, as some do.

I dont believe in protectionism, but we do get £3 billion in taxes for import tariffs; I see that as a painless tax.

The difference between an import tax and a purchase tax is very little.

Taxes should be about what taxes are practical and fair to collect, not about fleecing the wealthy, whilst some can avoid tax.

Not sure why you think it would need a money tree given that all the policies are costed. Neither can they be considered extreme as each and every one of them has been implemented in one European country or another.

Not sure why you think it would need a money tree given that all the policies are costed. Neither can they be considered extreme as each and every one of them has been implemented in one European country or another.[/QUOTe]

It just seems a lot of money and five years too do it does not seem enough get it done. After Brexit has happened the country will need time to take stock let alone roll out such policies.

---------- Post added 20-09-2018 at 13:26 ----------

Your views are the same as everyone elses, we all want fairness, you need to think deeper about what you believe in.

I earn around £15k so I pay very little in tax, I don't see fairness as wanting to tax the rich at above 50%, as some do.

I dont believe in protectionism, but we do get £3 billion in taxes for import tariffs; I see that as a painless tax.

The difference between an import tax and a purchase tax is very little.

Taxes should be about what taxes are practical and fair to collect, not about fleecing the wealthy, whilst some can avoid tax.

The tax system needs an major rethink Amazon and other large companies could easily pay more than they do. The danger is they would up root to the nearest low tax country so effecting employment it's almost a no win situation. People who start up an business should be given more help than they do it seems unless your an international company very little help is around. I do have other ideas on what could be done on a lot of issues one of my main thoughts is Universal Income Netherlands has this system it helps in lowering proverty Labour had toyed with idea but nothing been said recently so no idea if it still one of their policies. Then we have crime notably the rise of knifes on the streets this one is the hard one too address by banning knifes which is not realistic .

Edited by 80peter