Gluten free products are about to be terminated on NHS

For anyone in Sheffield who is a coeliac sufferer this is for you.

Sheffield CCG patient consultation event - have your say

9 February 2016

There is a patient consultation event which is being held by Sheffield CCG on Wednesday 16 March from 6pm to 7.30pm to discuss gluten-free prescribing.

This follows the recent policy change made by Sheffield CCG, restricting gluten-free food available on prescription to eight units for adults but continuing to follow national prescribing guidelines for children. If you would like to attend the event, please book using the online form.

Unable to attend but want to have your say?

If you're unable to attend the event but would like to provide your opinions on gluten-free food on prescription, we recommend that you write to the CCG by email or to NHS Sheffield CCG, 722 Prince of Wales Road, Sheffield S9 4EU.

Well it looks like no matter how many consultations you have , it now looks like gluten free products are about to be terminated . Here is what Coeliac UK say about it .

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/about-us/news/gluten-free-prescribing-in-the-news-today/

Well done Mr Stevens you uncaring Muppet.

Well it looks like no matter how many consultations you have , it now looks like gluten free products are about to be terminated . Here is what Coeliac UK say about it .

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/about-us/news/gluten-free-prescribing-in-the-news-today/

Well done Mr Stevens you uncaring Muppet.

I understood it just to be the prescriptions for gluten free products that are to be terminated not gluten free products.

I'm not coeliac but I have a friend that is and there is a good selection of products available out there. There are a few smaller artisan makers of gluten free foods but I manage to pick them up at the supermarket, Health food shops, Marks and Spencers or on line from various companies. Often people who do organic or health food supplies carry gluten free products.

Sorry yes i mean gluten free prescriptions. The thing is that i now work on an hour on a zero hour contract for £7.50 the prescriptions have been a huge help for me as a registered Coeliac.

The cheapest loaf i have seen is small 400g loaf at £1.50 per loaf, you can get a standard normal 800g loaf for 85p. Also the cheapest gluten free loafs are just flying off the shelf's and then you are left with the more expensive loaves at £3.00.

I will not be able to afford this so i will have to eat normal bread due to my financial circumstances if this ban goes ahead.

Sorry yes i mean gluten free prescriptions. The thing is that i now work on an hour on a zero hour contract for £7.50 the prescriptions have been a huge help for me as a registered Coeliac.

The cheapest loaf i have seen is small 400g loaf at £1.50 per loaf, you can get a standard normal 800g loaf for 85p. Also the cheapest gluten free loafs are just flying off the shelf's and then you are left with the more expensive loaves at £3.00.

I will not be able to afford this so i will have to eat normal bread due to my financial circumstances if this ban goes ahead.

All you have to do is order it/ them in, slice into portions and put in the freezer. That's what my friend does as her partner doesn't have gluten free and they would both waste bread if they didn't freeze it in smaller amounts.

I don't eat cheap bread, not point its gross.

You could always make your own either by hand or with a cheap new or second hand bread maker. I used to make bread every few days by hand, I used to work full time, overtime at weekends and attend Uni day release and one evening a week too (in case you at you don't have time). Its just a case of being organised. Mix then leave to rise. Go to bed or go to work then kneed again and bake either in the morning or when you come home from work. I only ever hit problems on really hot days when it would rise too much and go 'beery'.

Gluten free bread mixed aren't expensive. Not sure if they would need a gluten free programme on the bread mixer.

If you can't afford bread then gluten free pasta is cheap. I look at these sites for everyday toiletries as most have additives in I can't use due to allergies. You would be complaining if you see how much I have to pay for hand wash soap, shower gel, suncream etc.

---------- Post added 02-04-2017 at 20:23 ----------

Tesco gluten free:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/ProductBuylist/default.aspx?id=G00018277&icid=Free_From_stamp_gluten_wheat_free

We have a small Tesco locally and you can get snack bars and cakes gluten free all the time

Asda gluten free:

https://groceries.asda.com/search/gluten%20free?cmpid=ahc-_-ghs-_-asdacom-_-hp-_-search-redirect-gluten-free

Morrisons gluten free:

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/getCategories.do?tags=105651%7C153052%7C153049&tracker=sis-freefrom&ad=3395%7C1142243%7C3425%7C1069433

---------- Post added 02-04-2017 at 20:27 ----------

Holland and Barrett Gluten free:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/free-from/free-from-foods/#t=advisorymessage_gluten-free&icmp=ff_static_gluten

Gluten free bread mix and flour:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/free-from/free-from-foods/bread/

---------- Post added 02-04-2017 at 20:42 ----------

Sainsburys have one supermarket in Sheffield that bakes gluten free bread in store:

http://help.sainsburys.co.uk/help/products/gluten-free-bread

Edited by Chez2

There are lots more products available at 'normal' prices than there were a few years ago due to the faddy trend to stop eating gluten even if you aren't coeliac. Whilst I understand that there's a financial aspect to eating all sorts of limited diets (I have family who are similarly affected) there really are ways around it all.

If you go to any supermarket their customer services desk will have a book which will tell you each of their own brand products which is free from each of the standard allergens. It may take you some time to get used to which products are safe for you, but it's worth it in the end :)

They are all labeled with the gluten free sign. Often they have a separate section for them in the shop.

There is at least one artisan producer of gluten free food who has advertised on this forum. They produce and sell in Sheffield.

That info in that post is contrary to what is freely available. They need to do the research again now, its out of date. Just look at the links I posted. It's not good to rely so much on bread as main part of diet. A balanced varied diet is best. I am a bread lover too. One loaf would last someone a five days to a week if frozen in portions. Try getting anything else as cheap as that.

I eat 4 slices of gluten free bread a day , 6 days a week for my sandwiches for my lunch at work, these are very small slices from the 400g loafs. That roughly equates to around 2 and a half 400g loafs, so really it is very close to eating a normal size loaf. What the companies say they sell and what they have in stock is another thing, the only loafs that i see that are left on the shelf's are the more expensive ones at around £3.00. That would equate to around £7.50 per week for gluten free bread compared to normal loafs you can get for under £1.00.

Myself and many other have a potential life threatening condition which we cannot help , i wonder if CCG's will be stopping Methadone for people who have chosen through their own choice to bugger up their bodies.

Myself and many other have a potential life threatening condition which we cannot help , i wonder if CCG's will be stopping Methadone for people who have chosen through their own choice to bugger up their bodies.

Not all people on methadone are using it as a way to reduce an opiate. It's also a valuable painkiller for people who cannot take opiates. Please remember that.

However, methadone isn't available in supermarkets in its own section to make shopping easier for the coeliac shopper. It's easier than ever to be gluten free these days.

That's a lot of bread you eat! It still only works out at £1.25 per meal. It would be less than half that price if you ordered a loaf.

You can take alternatives for lunch even if you don't have access to a fridge, I used to when I worked 12 hr shifts.

How does the Coeliac society think cultures who live mainly on rice manage to obtain sufficient nutrition? Here is a link from the NHS showing you how to obtain calcium from a balanced diet (not just fortified bread).

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Calcium.aspx

I can see you don't want to take advice and order bread in to your local supermarket. That's fine if you want to make a mountain out of a mole hill, we are only trying to help you.

I have pre ordered specific food from the supermarket for meetings at work so I know you can order food in. Mum in law often orders food at supermarkets. I asked my local Tesco to order old fashioned natural yoghurt without artificial sweeteners, colours or gum (thickener) and they do that for me.