Clarence Street

Hillsborough, i like it. That is where most of my mums ancesters where born n bred, my grandad you know about on Clarence Street, he was living at Woodhead Road when he married my grandmother. And she was born and raised at 7 Haden Street. And i've traced her grandfather to Langsett Road.

I know Haden Street well, in fact an old lady I used to visit lived at No 9 in the early 1980s. My sister's husband was the caretaker at Richards' cutlery works (now gone, but only about 150 yards from Clarence Street) and so I got to know that area quite well in c. 1960. Bloomin' heck - that's 50 years ago! I must be an old beggar....:(

That is incredible, so chances are your lady friend may well have known my nana and her parents, depending on how long she had lived there. My great grandfather George who was a cab driver for Sheffield Transport Department passed away in 1948 and his wife 10 years later. Nice to have met you Hillsbro and chat to you :)

Edited by Haydn72

I used to work with a Pauline Hoyland who said that she used to live in that area.

Hi, I'd be interested to hear from her. My grandads mothers name was Susannah nee Hoyland.

My email is hj.williams_72@live.com

Regards

Haydn

Hi, I'd be interested to hear from her. My grandads mothers name was Susannah nee Hoyland.

My email is hj.williams_72@live.com

Regards

Haydn

Hi Haydn

I have just come across your old post you stated that your Grandfathers old address was 148 Clarence st well I was born and bred at 149 Clarence st but for the life of me can I recall the names that you mention I lived at that address from 1948 up to the early 60s your Grandad would have lived more or less opposit where I was brought up but back then we very rarely used our front door which was on Clarence st we always used the back door which was in the first yard on Michael rd :huh: .

Does anyone remember Mr Bujko? He was a Polish watchmaker who had a little shop at the bottom of Clarence Street (near the junction with Hurst Road) from the early 1950s until c. 1962 when the houses were demolished. Marjan Bujko (1929-2004) came to England as a refugee after the war and settled here. He actually worked for H. Samuel's and his wife ran the shop. They were both really nice people. My grandma bought my first watch there, as a present for passing my 11-plus. Memories!

Hi hillsbro

I know this is quite an old post but I Am interested to know more about this shop you mention for the life of me I cant recall a polish family living in the area I vaguely remember a upholstery shop at the junction of Hurst rd and Clarence st owned by the Denall family the other shops I can just about recall starting at the junction of Bridgefield rd and Clarence st working up was the Doctors, chip shop, hairdressers (Twiggy's), newsagents (berisfords I think) then the mind has gone blank CHEERS.

Edited by JACK HEWITT
more memory

Hi Haydn

I have just come across your old post you stated that your Grandfathers old address was 148 Clarence st well I was born and bred at 149 Clarence st but for the life of me can I recall the names that you mention I lived at that address from 1948 up to the early 60s your Grandad would have lived more or less opposit where I was brought up but back then we very rarely used our front door which was on Clarence st we always used the back door which was in the first yard on Michael rjd :huh: .[/quotex

Hello Jack, it's unlikely my grandad was still living on Clarence St in 1948 as he had married my nana in 1933 and had five children by then and my nana had come over to Preston in 1941 but my grandad was still working in Sheffield. Clarence St was registered on his birth certificate. Now in 1901 John Hoyland was registered at that address. My guess is that my grandads parents may have lived there a short while, as my grandads mother was Susannah Hoyland, daughter of John.

Hi JACK HEWITT - yes, Mr Bujko had a little watchmaker's shop; it was just the front room of the terraced house. Here is a scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory showing Clarence Street residents. Victor Bujko is shown at No 137, which is where I remember the shop to have been (his Polish name was Marjan but he was known as Victor). He was a highly skilled watchmaker and a very nice chap - we often used to talk about his wartime experiences when he was captured by the Russians and sent to Siberia. After the 1942 amnesty the Poles were released from the camps; he told me he crossed the Caspian Sea to Iran, and from there he came to England in 1945. When the properties were demolished the Bujkos moved to a semi, just off Crimicar Lane - I used to take watches there to be repaired. I think Mrs Evelyn Bujko still lives there; she will now be in her 80s.

Hi JACK HEWITT - yes, Mr Bujko had a little watchmaker's shop; it was just the front room of the terraced house. Here is a scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory showing Clarence Street residents. Victor Bujko is shown at No 137, which is where I remember the shop to have been (his Polish name was Marjan but he was known as Victor). He was a highly skilled watchmaker and a very nice chap - we often used to talk about his wartime experiences when he was captured by the Russians and sent to Siberia. After the 1942 amnesty the Poles were released from the camps; he told me he crossed the Caspian Sea to Iran, and from there he came to England in 1945. When the properties were demolished the Bujkos moved to a semi, just off Crimicar Lane - I used to take watches there to be repaired. I think Mrs Evelyn Bujko still lives there; she will now be in her 80s.

Hi hillsbro

Thanks for for the reply the scan you have sent has really started the old brain cell going crazy so many names that I had totally forgotten but I still cant place Victor Bujko.

Hi hillsbro

Thanks for for the reply the scan you have sent has really started the old brain cell going crazy so many names that I had totally forgotten but I still cant place Victor Bujko.

My Mother took over the fish and chip shop and she sold 2nd had clothes for a number of years we also lived behind it for some time

My Mother took over the fish and chip shop and she sold 2nd had clothes for a number of years we also lived behind it for some time

HI RON

did you have a sister called Brenda or Beril who also worked in the shop who later went to work in the chippy on Cumberland st and then in the chippy at the back of the old woolworths on the MOOR that was the last time I saw her around 6 or 7 yrs ago .