New roundabout Moss Way

I drive it every day to work and back and I can't say that I've seen any formal 'New Road Layout' signs. There are some roadworks signs on the side of the road but far too close to the roundabout IMO. The mini-roundabout signs are there but you can't see the one as you travel towards the police station because it's hidden in the trees! Shouldn't be a problem in a few few weeks or so though once the leaves have fallen :rolleyes:

doubt it easier for buses, maybe they can get out a little quicker but the lane is so narrow that the angle the bus has to take isnt easier at all.

why did they not take ALL the junctions into account and make a big roundabout , include the road that goes at the back of Asda and BSL

doubt it easier for buses, maybe they can get out a little quicker but the lane is so narrow that the angle the bus has to take isnt easier at all.

why did they not take ALL the junctions into account and make a big roundabout , include the road that goes at the back of Asda and BSL

While they were doing this why did they not look at moving one of the bus stops or putting a layby on the side next to the field on Birley Spa Lane? When there is a bus at both stops at the same time it holds the traffic up.

While they were doing this why did they not look at moving one of the bus stops or putting a layby on the side next to the field on Birley Spa Lane? When there is a bus at both stops at the same time it holds the traffic up.

The roundabout scheme is part of a project that looked at the whole route in that area, so any changes considered necessary at the stops would have been made.

Bus operators don't like lay-bys as once the bus is in there, they get delayed getting back out as passing drivers don't let them out.

The roundabout scheme is part of a project that looked at the whole route in that area, so any changes considered necessary at the stops would have been made.

Bus operators don't like lay-bys as once the bus is in there, they get delayed getting back out as passing drivers don't let them out.

So if the two bus stops both have buses at them and traffic is backing up onto Moss Way that's ok as long as the bus doesn't have to get out of a layby?

Edited by iansheff

I like it but it does seem a bit 'temporary'. I don't know if it has made that much difference to the traffic coming out of Birley Spa turning right. I always turn left.

So if the two bus stops both have buses at them and traffic is backing up onto Moss Way that's ok as long as the bus doesn't have to get out of a layby?

How often does that actually happen and what problem do you think it causes other than a minor delay to a few motorists?

How often does that actually happen and what problem do you think it causes other than a minor delay to a few motorists?

And emergency vehicles. Ive got my fingers crossed your house isn't the first to burn down because a fire engine has a "minor delay" on this road.

And emergency vehicles. Ive got my fingers crossed your house isn't the first to burn down because a fire engine has a "minor delay" on this road.

This nonsense is often trotted out.

How do you think the emergency services operate in congested urban areas? They have sirens and flashing lights, which drivers see/hear and get out of the way if they can.

The emergency services are statutory consultees on highway schemes and would say so if they had any problem with the arrangements.

I think that they ought to monitor this roundabout, some motorists who are heading to the roundabout from the police station can see there is nothing coming towards them and just ignore the speed limit. I have seen a lot of cars and vans that have been travelling well in excess of the limit and go over half of the roundabout instead of slowing down. The roundabout has made getting out of BSL a lot easier but something needs to be done about  educating some drivers about their speed, maybe one of those speed signs showing how fast you are going might help.

Edited by iansheff

On 02/10/2018 at 16:21, iansheff said:

Easy there tiger, you'll be saying SCC are anti-car next. And we know that's not right, don't we kiddies?

No...

Wait...

On 02/10/2018 at 21:26, Planner1 said:

Yep, confirmation, as if it were needed, that car drivers are second-class citizens who can be dealt with in whatever callous manner SCC deem fit. It'd be a different tale if the word "motorist" was replaced by "cyclist" or "pedestrian", wouldn't it Planner1? SCC would fall over themselves backwards to make sure they were the LAST people inconvenienced.

2 hours ago, Weredoomed said:

Yep, confirmation, as if it were needed, that car drivers are second-class citizens who can be dealt with in whatever callous manner SCC deem fit. It'd be a different tale if the word "motorist" was replaced by "cyclist" or "pedestrian", wouldn't it Planner1? SCC would fall over themselves backwards to make sure they were the LAST people inconvenienced.

Errrm, in the circumstances described (ie buses pulling up in stops opposite each other meaning traffic can't get past) , that I was responding to, cyclists would be just as much inconvenienced as a motorist. 

Councils have to consider the safety and convenience of all road users, not just motorists.

3 hours ago, iansheff said:

maybe one of those speed signs showing how fast you are going might help.

Drop your local Councillors a line (you can get their contact details from the Council website). They can ask for a Speed Indicator Device to be put in for a while.