Drug Addiction . A Disease or Not ?

Narcotics literally put you in a stupor. Alcohol is a narcotic. Heroin, codeine, spice are narcotics.

Cocaine, LSD, Ecstasy, Cannabis, Peyote, Ayahuasca and Mushrooms are not narcotics.

Terminological exactitude is important.

ok then (for the sake of clarity)

Alcohol, Heroin, codeine & spice are narcotics.

Enjoy your LSD etc:hihi:

Narcotics are drugs that block or reduce pain by binding to opioid receptors in the brain and spinal cord.

Cocaine is considered highly addictive - and one of the most habit-forming substances on the planet.

Long-term methamphetamine abuse can cause psychotic symptoms such as paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions. The psychotic symptoms can last for months or years after methamphetamine use has ceased.

MDMA has hallucinogenic effects.

"People who use MDMA do report symptoms of addiction, including continued use despite negative physical or psychological consequences, tolerance, withdrawal" (National Institute On Drug Abuse ).

These three drugs are ubiquitous in the chemsex scence.

It's my estimate that there are literally thousands of young gay men travelling the road to addiction-and some will end up dead as a consequence.

Edited by petemcewan

NIDA perpetuates dangerous <Removed>.

MDMA is an hallucinogen, so no surprises there.

Cocaine and Meth are both drugs whose route of administration means that topping up is much more common, with users overdosing as a result and ending up in a state, or worse.

MDMA, because it is generally swallowed, tends not to inculcate the same behaviours, and because the body rapidly builds up tolerance by increased production of endogenous MAOIs, tends not to reward repeated frequent dosing.

Edited by nikki-red

Phanerothyme,

With respect. I'm surprised at your dismissal of the NIDA. I'll come to their support.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) is marking its 30th year of research in substance abuse. Over this period, significant advances have given us a better understanding of the neurobiology of drug addiction and of its treatment. To start with, scientific findings documenting long-lasting changes in the brain of individuals addicted to drugs have led to the conceptualization of drug addiction as a disease of the brain. Moreover, through the use of animal models and through imaging studies in human subjects, it has become possible to delineate neurotransmitter systems and neuronal circuits that are disrupted by the use of drugs. Ten studies in this issue exemplify some of these advances. This editorial discusses these papers within the framework of NIDA’s top research priorities: prevention, treatment, and HIV/AIDS.

Source:

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf/10.1176/appi.ajp.162.8.1401

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.162.8.1473

The NIDA is an internationally recognised authority on the subject of drugs and addiction. It uses science and statistics and animal studies in its study of drug abuse-what more can one ask for ?

So I agree with the NIDA and its conceptualisation of the neurobiology involved in drug abuse.

Note:

"Topping Up" ,"ending in a state". Absolutely correct.

Dead is one of those states.

You may find the following link of interest. Chronic stress and its role in substance abuse.

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.162.8.1483

---------- Post added 18-09-2018 at 13:04 ----------

London residents take matters into their own hands.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/17/fed-up-residents-create-drug-dealers-parking-space/

Edited by petemcewan

I honestly believe some people have an addictive personality , where whatever they do , they overdo it . I know someone who was/is a compulsive gambler , they've not had a bet for years now but now drinks more than they should

I do agree that some people have an increased propensity to addiction, but to term it as a personality trait is where I disagree. It's not useful, it kind of implies that the biochemical mechanisms of addiction are a conscious process.

If someone was prone to migraines would you say they had a migraine kind of personality? What about someone who reacts badly to wasp stings, do they have an allergic personality?