How to save money?

I read today about a woman who washes and uses again - paper plates? What penny pinching things have you heard about?

I reuse tea leaves. I don't use tea bags, or I'd reuse them too.

In terms of 'penny pinching', I also literally penny pinch (and pound pinch too). I have 2 saving pots, for which I empty the change out of my purse every few days. Small change goes in a pot that is emptied through a change machine if I'm running short of money and the pound coins go into my 'times of plenty' pot, which is emptied into a hidey hole bank account that is used to buy stuff that I can't usually afford once it's built up into a decent amount. A bit of change here and there isn't really that noticeable when you're taking it from your purse, but one year I paid nearly £1000 into my bank account from the times of plenty pot.

In terms of 'penny pinching', I also literally penny pinch (and pound pinch too). I have 2 saving pots, for which I empty the change out of my purse every few days. Small change goes in a pot that is emptied through a change machine if I'm running short of money and the pound coins go into my 'times of plenty' pot, which is emptied into a hidey hole bank account that is used to buy stuff that I can't usually afford once it's built up into a decent amount. A bit of change here and there isn't really that noticeable when you're taking it from your purse, but one year I paid nearly £1000 into my bank account from the times of plenty pot.

I suppose it depends on how much you need to save money. Back in the days of Harold Wilson's utopia we were so hard up that we used teabags twice and then I used to dry them out on the clothes line , break them open and smoke them in my pipe.

I might add that I was working full time in a skilled job but half our wages went in stoppages.

It's not just about saving money though is it? We all have to consume less, and recycle more if we want to save the planet. This idea that we can have continuous, never ending growth will be the end of us.

I suppose it depends on how much you need to save money. Back in the days of Harold Wilson's utopia we were so hard up that we used teabags twice and then I used to dry them out on the clothes line , break them open and smoke them in my pipe.

I might add that I was working full time in a skilled job but half our wages went in stoppages.

I have lived the last 20 years on disability benefits and the income insurance that pays half of what my salary was in 1998, when I was last able to work. I've paid a mortgage off during those 20 years with no help with any means tested anything, so do I need to find any way I can to save money? Yep, I sure do.

It's not just about saving money though is it? We all have to consume less, and recycle more if we want to save the planet. This idea that we can have continuous, never ending growth will be the end of us.

Agree wholeheartedly. The resources of the planet are not infinite and everybody could do with using less of everything, from plastics to electricity.

I'm aware that my carbon footprint is a whole load bigger than I'd like, but struggle to reduce it because of limitations as a result of my disabilities. I'll keep trying though.

Best way to save money is to stay out of shops and if you do stray into one only buy what you need.

Make a list and stick to it.

I can't guarantee this works because I can't stick to it!

Pay with cash, instead with debit/credit card whenever is that possible. You wouldn't believe the psychological effect of holding money in your hand instead of plastic card. And avoid online shopping, it can trick you in the same way.

Before going to the supermarkets I go to Company Shop and see what they have on my shopping list. You have to qualify for membership before they let you in.

Using a water meter has saved me £15 per month as well as switching utility companies.

I bought a quality six year old car with full service history eight years ago, I still have it and have kept the service history up with a mechanic that I have used for donkey’s years. My best mate changes his cars every three years, even though they are in good order, he just takes the car with the most competitive finance deal. I’m driving what was a £40K car when new, he has a £15K runabout, that he is still paying for, I paid cash for mine.

We bought a very run down detached house with a large garden in 1976 for £12K, I reckon that we’ve spent circa £30k on it over the years, it’s now a splendid 1450 square foot property worth circa £350k, totally unincumbered by mortgage. We have friends who keep on moving house, still have debt, and don’t live in anything close to what we have.

I’m a believer in getting the big ticket items sorted, and then not having to skimp, we don’t smoke but both like a drink at home, we eat good food and take holidays that we arrange ourselves by booking all elements separately, as we now have the time to do so.

Everyone to their own of course.

Consuming less would involve not buying as many things, does that mean that we should just leave our money in the bank?

If you have a vee neck pullover and it gets mucky turn it back to front and people think you also have a crew neck.

Save money on expensive clock/watch batteries by only putting the batteries in when you want to know the time.