Cyclists create more traffic?

Ask stated  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Ask stated

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

So yeah, I expect a bit of backlash from this, but bear with me...

In peoples opinions, when there is no cycle lane, do cyclists create more traffic due to the vehicles not being able to pass them safely and creating mini traffic backlogs?

Honestly, no. They can be a pain in the arse from time to time but I wouldn't suggest they cause more traffic. Cars create more traffic.

In peoples opinions, when there is no cycle lane, do cyclists create more traffic due to the vehicles not being able to pass them safely and creating mini traffic backlogs?

Nope.

When I overtake a cyclist, which I can do, I invariably find myself queueing behind another car, which I cannot.

The person on a bike inconveniences me much less than they would do if they were in a car.

More often the problem is a broken down car of a lane closed because of grass cutting.

Why on earth they cannot set up a contract that entails the grass being cut without the need to close a lane is beyond me. It would just need an over-hanging cover to protect the passing vehicles, or cut the grass in the early hours.

There's the same amount of traffic regardless.

Any mini traffic backlogs as you call them are tiny compared to those created by motorists. If passing a cyclist safely delays you from getting to the back of a queue of cars further up the road they haven't increased your journey time at all - just caused you to spend less time sat in the queue of cars.

No, clearly not.

So you're driving up a hill, single carriageway and a cyclist in the road, and you don't think he's holding all the traffic up?

So you're driving up a hill, single carriageway and a cyclist in the road, and you don't think he's holding all the traffic up?

If traffic is light, it will be easy to pass safely with minimal delay. If traffic is heavy then there's likely a queue of vehicles at a junction further up the road - in which case the cyclist won't impact the overall journey time.

Maybe she or he is causing a small delay, but certainly not adding to the volume of traffic. Generally the opposite, in fact.

A simple scenario from my everyday commute.

You can have me in my car, in the queue in front of you.

Or, on my bike, I won't be in the queue in front of you, I'll be on a road with less traffic on it, having passed the queues of cars at traffic lights, and ultimately I'll be on the road for less time than if I take my car.

You figure out which one creates 'more traffic', or more accurately, which one contributes more to congestion, which is what you really meant. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 08-07-2018 at 19:52 ----------

Unless the road is mystically clear after the cyclist, all the way to your destination, including junctions, roundabouts and traffic lights, then clearly no, they don't hold up anything.

You are delayed for a few seconds whilst you wait to overtake.

You then overtake, and within the next few seconds, or at most minutes, you are behind the same car you would always have been behind had the cyclists not been there.

Now, if the cyclist BECAME a car, well, then you'd be behind one MORE car wouldn't you.

How is it possible that you need this explaining?

Even if he is, he’s not “creating more traffic” just slowing down the traffic that’s there already.

Chill out, pass the cyclist safely and get on with your journey. I save my ire for impatient cyclists who try to barge past me on pavements and footpaths. They need to chill out too.

As most cyclists are car owners and drivers one idea was a national drive to work day for all cyclists (single occupancy vehicles, of course, none of this sharing business )

Make the jams even worse but go in really early and get all the parking spots as well.

...just as a joke obviously but would make a point