Cultural appropriation, a complete non-issue?

Is cultural appropriation even a thing?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is cultural appropriation even a thing?

• Yes, it's justified to call people out for it
    • No, not really it's fine to emulate other cultures
    • Other (please explain in post)

The term is becoming more and more popular in news and social media, with more and more people being accused of it, but does it really deserve the demonisation it's getting?

The most common use seems to be against celebrities who wear clothing and fashion accessories originating from or influenced by other cultures, supposedly not knowing or understanding their origins. As long as there's no justified offence caused (i.e, wearing a swastika covered dress because you like the pattern), then what's actually so bad?

Another example is the ever popular male Caucasian students' hair option of wearing dreadlocks. My personal opinion is that it looks ridiculous, but should it cause offence?

Anyone who wears baggy jeans with pants on show is unlikely to know that it originates from prisons where prisoners had to wear clothes several sizes too big. I doubt the prisoners are bothered by this ignorance.

It's not just aimed at celebrities - a high school girl in the states got hammered for wearing a Chinese dress for her prom. She wasn't doing anything else, not doing the pulled-sideways eye thing, just wearing a nice frock. No offence was intended.

White people shouldn't wear dreadlocks because it just looks wrong, not because of cultural appropriation. And obviously this only works one way - other cultures can take and leave western culture without reproach. I know I should check my white privilege but a lot of this is just looking for reasons to be offended.

People should be able to wear what they want to wear whenever they want to wear it, they should be able to have their hair however they want to have their hair whenever they want to have it like that..

It shouldn't matter what someone does as long as they are not hurting anybody else or being blatantly disrespectful.

If a white woman wants to have her hair dyed black and put in braids, let her. and if a black woman wants to dye her hair blonde and have it straightened, let her..

I just don't see how these things can effect peoples day to day lives and I cant believe so much attention is being given to it in the media!!

If people are so sensitive that an item of clothing or a hairstyle upsets them then maybe they need an extra cuddle from their friends and loved ones.. I'm sure the planet will keep on turning on its axis and life will go on..

Edited by Chelle-82

People ARE able to wear what they want. If you think it looks naff, then that's your problem, you can either choose to have that particular bee buzzing around in your bonnet, or you can let it go.

People should not care if others approve of their clothing choices or not. Dress to make yourself happy. Why be overly concerned about the opinions of every Tom, Dick and Harry?

I think Oscar Wilde made a valid observation: “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”

I think it'd be extremely sad if clothes/art/design/architecture/whatever couldn't be inspired by the full variety of human culture.

Plus banning it would drive a coach and horses through trendy fashion addictions.

Plus banning it would drive a coach and horses through trendy fashion addictions.

If we're taking about banning it, the first casualty would be the Village People

Seems to me to be yet another excuse to be 'offended.'

There was a US Uni who had a mexican do, Sombreros, Chilli, Salsa etc..that fell foul of the Cultural Appropriation police. Are children no allowed tp play Cowboys and Indians anymore?

I'm a white Northerner, should I get all upset when some RADA trained toff acts in a play set "oop North" and puts a flat cap on? No.

There was a US Uni who had a mexican do, Sombreros, Chilli, Salsa etc..that fell foul of the Cultural Appropriation police. Are children no allowed tp play Cowboys and Indians anymore?

I'm a white Northerner, should I get all upset when some RADA trained toff acts in a play set "oop North" and puts a flat cap on? No.

When I watch an American tv show with Americans playing football I have to turn over or fast forward. It offends me so maybe I'm as bad!